Heresy family differences

Oblio

I was wondering what the subjective differences between the various Heresy speakers are. Recently I picked up a set of Heresy I speakers and use them for psuedo centers (B channel, no AV yet) when listening to background TV and they sound pretty good. I recently came upon another set of I's (black birch $275) that may still be available since we are kinda out of the way ( http://macon.craigslist.org/ele/1409205869.html ). I'm thinking using one set for centers, one for rear and my KHorns for mains until I can spring for LS or something else. Should I look for II's (or III's), or are I's fine for HT & light 2ch listening (bedroom, back porch etc) ?

Just my opinion but I prefer the I and III over the II. The III's are a big improvement and are also more efficient than the other two going from 96 to 99db at 1w1m. Also it has a tractrix tweeter. The bonus for the I's is they can be had for very little $$$ and sound great. A friend uses 5 I's with a sub and it makes one of my favorite HT's

If I was in your situation, I'd stick with H1s. The mid driver and the entire tweeter match the K-Horn.

Eventually you are headed for multi channel and in that case it is best to have speakers which match, as far as possible, each other.

The H2 and H3 went to plastic horns and drivers; and MDF. I have plastic and MDF in my Quartets and Forte II so I don't say there is anything wrong with that.

There is though the classic appeal of metal and plywood. From the days when cars had fins and phones had dials. Smile. You will become an expert in one model, the H1.

There is the matter that Klipsch tweeked the bass system a bit in later models but I kinda doubt it was so much of an improvement that you should by the H2 or H3 because of it.

The H1 will do well outdoors, as well as anything else that size. In my experience there is a very marked change when you go outdoors . . . or even from a small room to a very big room. It is not the fault of the speaker and going to H2 or H3 is not going to change the situation. Bass really falls off. You'll also need more power to get anywhere near the living room experience.

Wm McD

Gil is right about the H1 especially when it comes to prices and being a better match for your Khorns. You can get enough H1's for a home theater for little more than the price of a new pair of H3's.

If you haven't heard the H3 than you really should even if you aren't going to use it in this application. It is a big improvement with tractrix tweeter and titanium diaphrams on tweet and mid. Klipsch did a great job on the revamped Heritage line.

The difference in a HT system would be minimal. I use a pair of HII's placed on either side of my console wired in series as my center with Khorn fronts, Chorus II rears, and a SVS sub, and everyone that comes over leaves drooling. If you can, stay all Heritage and you can't go wrong. I have another pair of HII's in my 2 channel garage system and couldn't be happier. I would have used the other HII's as rears but the Chorus II's won't fit in the garage. Plus, I had to claim the space, if you know what I mean. You can always go smaller, but I meet with resistance when I try to go bigger.(GAF-girlfriend acceptance factor)

Guest David H

I need to hear a pair of the Heresy III's, but I also prefer the classic sound of the HI over the HII's. At least until I changed the crossovers in the H2, now it is an amazing performer. Has anyone here tried the Crites H2 crossovers? I think with better quality caps and inductors there would be a notable iprovement.

Now I've got 4 Heresy's [H]

Didn't have enough wire to hook them up as surrounds so I made some Heresy towers flanking my Samsung 50" Plasma as a quick 'center' [:D]

Hooked them up in series/parallel so I wouldn't blow my el cheapo Kenwood AV KR-V5090 center channel. Hope we can find the remote tommorow so I can balance the channels. It does sound pretty good without any decent electronics.