• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From their "Contact Us" page

Contact HDGIANTS

Technical Support

For technical support, please contact Support@HDGIANTS.com Monday – Friday 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. PST or call 775.832.5692

Sales

For sales and dealer inquiries, please contact our sales department at Sales@HDGIANTS.com or call 775.832.5692

Marketing

For marketing and press inquiries, please contact our marketing department at Marketing@HDGIANTS.com or call 775.832.5692

Content

For new content inquiries, please contact our content department at Content@HDGIANTS.com or call 775.832.5692

Corporate Office:

HDGIANTS
926 Incline Way
Incline Village, NV 89451
Phone: 775.832.5692
Fax: 775.832.5693

When I go to their website I get the "service unavailable" and I get the same service unavailable from DRM when it tries to connect with them. In WMP I try to go to their store and I always get "Error Contacting Service Please Try Again Later"

Thanks, this should help.

From their "Contact Us" page

Contact HDGIANTS

Technical Support

For technical support, please contact Support@HDGIANTS.com Monday – Friday 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. PST or call 775.832.5692

Sales

For sales and dealer inquiries, please contact our sales department at Sales@HDGIANTS.com or call 775.832.5692

Marketing

For marketing and press inquiries, please contact our marketing department at Marketing@HDGIANTS.com or call 775.832.5692

Content

For new content inquiries, please contact our content department at Content@HDGIANTS.com or call 775.832.5692

Corporate Office:

HDGIANTS
926 Incline Way
Incline Village, NV 89451
Phone: 775.832.5692
Fax: 775.832.5693

Wow,

I tried to call them and got a message machine I did not leave a message instead I tried to send an email to their technical support, however this emailed was returned as undeliverable.

I guess I will try calling again and leave a message this time, but this is really seeming strange.

Strange indeed. Do you have another PC which has never been logged onto your account with them and from which you have never played one of their DRM'd files...maybe that would allow you to atleast get to their site.

What is particularly odd is that in the statement you posted they said they were down to a skeleton crew keeping the lights on for existing customers but not taking on new ones. You are an existing customer and can not get to their site...I am not a customer and can.

None of it makes any sense to me. Oh well I hope you are able to get in touch with someone there.

I can't get on from my home computer, either, but I can from my work computer. I can even log on from work. I get the impression they blocked the IP addresses of all their users, so you can't log on from the computer your account is registered to.

Still can't add any more money to my account, though... it rejects my perfectly good credit card. I've had an album sitting in my basket since May. HDGiants has a Facebook account, and I tried posting a polite message to the effect of, "Are you ever coming back?" and IT WAS DELETED. I also PM'd their CEO Scott Bahneman on Facebook and it went unanswered.

If you search news stories online, you'll find two or three articles about their being in Chapter 11 and that they're hoping to be out of it soon. Much as I loved them, I think it's extremely rude that they won't even let their customers know what's going on. No email, won't answer the phones, nothing. I bought over 500 tracks from them over a period of about three years. I'm a very loyal customer, and I'm not happy about being given the brushoff.

That is odd indeed...I am on their site as I write this.

I wonder if their site (at least for you) being down has anything to do with your DRM files no longer playing? I am not that up on all the limits imposed by DRM but I suppose maybe the files needs to "phone home" to get permission to be played.

Yes, the DRM does need to "phone home" to get authenticated.

It is precisely issues like I've been seeing here why I will NEVER EVER buy any 'DRM'ed content! Geez, I wonder why Music Giants/HD Giants went out of business? I've checked them out in the past, as I was interested in thier classical offerings, but was not about to buy into thier DRM'ed format - especially since thier site bulked at me trying to access it on my Mac Book Pro with FireFox (Thou Shalt use Internet Explorer and Windows ONLY!). Did see a blurb on there they were planning on rolling out a Mac compatible version, but obviously, that never came to fruition. Basically ended up giving them the equivelent of the middle finger and proceeded to continue using eMusic instead! Maybe compressed MP3, but at least I am guranteed they'll play on anything I throw them at! After all, what good is a file if you can't even play it, regardless of how good the actual sound quality is? For all I care, it could've been delivered directly by God himself via Angels down from Heaven, but won't be worth jack-$#!+ if the DRM won't let you play it! Wonder if it would be worth attempting to hack the files to by-pass the DRM, so you could play the music you rightfully paid for.

Would be nice to see some outfit, perhaps even eMusic itself, deliver music in full lossless quality, such as FLAC, and keep it completely DRM-free.

BTW, I was able to access the HDGiant website. Of course, when I attempted to browse thier library, it bulked at the fact that I am using FireFox (although this time, I am on my Windows XP machine), and proceeded to give me instructions how to access via Windows Media Player 10 or 11 (another program that I absolutely refuse to use). If a service won't let me use a browser of my choice on the OS of my choice, on the hardware of my choice, then they can go pound sand as far as I am concerned (same issue with iTunes - try to use that on Linux). At least both eMusic and LaLa.com works perfectly on both my Windows and Macintosh rigs. eMusic does also work on my Linux rig, but not tried LaLa.com on there yet, though.

I bought over 500 tracks from them over a period of about three years.

No you didn't. You rented 500 tracks and now your time is up.

Any DRM content that needs to phone home is based on the bad assumption that there is someone to phone home to.

Any DRM content that needs to phone home is based on the bad assumption that there is someone to phone home to.

Which is the single best reason I can think of to rip our tracks ourselves (to DRM free lossless codec of coarse) from CDs we own. This way we have complete control. [:D]

LOL, Music Giants must have some pretty high up connections, just after my last post and just after both trying to email and phone Music Giants my cable went out leaving me without internet or phone since I use Vonage (no internet = no phone). I just now got back online.

Those F$*#ing Ba$$#&%s. I say we stage a revolt against all media download sites. Quick everybody gather up all your CDs and send them to Ripit Digital (my CD conversion company [;)]) for conversion.

Seriously though I had no idea that DRM could present such serious problems. I thought it only prevented you from playing on multiple devices without permission (ie. sharing with family and friends). I had no idea that if the place from which you purchased the music went out of business you would be SOL. This (I would think) would have to give serious reason for pause to anybody considering purchasing media with DRM.

I'm not renting them; I do own them... I burned them all to CD, multiple copies, so I've still got the full, lossless files. I own them.

However, I personally am having no problem playing my DRM'd MusicGiants files whatsoever. I just played some right now. In fact just a couple days ago, I burned a disc full of them. So the problem must be with the previous poster's computer, not MusicGiants, because, like I said, I still can't log onto MusicGiants.