Here are a few pics of my music server

Rich_Guy

Read the fine print. I am sure it says you don't own the tracks, that they are licensed to you under very strict conditions. Like a Windows CD.

But I may have mis-understood. It sure sounded like the player needed to phone home. How is the DRM enforced? What is it technically?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can play about 98% of my Music Giants collection, there are only a few which won't work because of DRM. I also burned a lot of my collection to disc and have those which work. I did remove DRM from many myself and I know Music Giants was supposedly changing to DRM free so the ones I am having problems playing may be the only ones in my collection which do have DRM.

As for it must be my computer I have 3 computers including one I just bought new last week, all three experience the same problem and cannot connect to Music Giants and I have no problems going anywhere else.

Yes DRM does seem to phone home, the DRM music I have which won't play brings up a small pop-up window which is obviously Music Giants site with the same white page with bold black letters "Service Unavailable" that I get when I try to go to Music Giants web page.

I can play about 98% of my Music Giants collection, there are only a few which won't work because of DRM. I also burned a lot of my collection to disc and have those which work.

But 99% of MusicGiants tracks were DRM'd... it doesn't seem to make sense that you can play some and not others. I mean, I believe you can't play some of them; I'm just wondering if DRM is really the problem. I'll admit I haven't tested all of them.

But, yes, I have read that there are programs you can get online that will remove DRM, so that's another option.

Read the fine print. I am sure it says you don't own the tracks, that they are licensed to you under very strict conditions. Like a Windows CD.

But I may have mis-understood. It sure sounded like the player needed to phone home. How is the DRM enforced? What is it technically?

What I was trying to say is that I own them because I long ago converted the lossless files to another lossless format that is not DRM'd. Whether I own the original DRM'd files, I'm not sure.

What I am saying is I also removed most of the DRM same as you did, by recording them to CD and ripping them lossless which removed the DRM from most of my collection. I am not sure if any of the music I bought from Music Giants was DRM free but my most recent purchases may have been.The small amount of music I have from Music Giants which will not play is definitely not playing because of DRM and it is likely the only DRM protected music I still have.

I am beginning to suspect that somehow DRM may somehow be connected to the fact which I also cannot connect to the Music Giants web page although I don't know how that would be possible, it does seem to be a possible explanation. On my brand new computer I did try to play a song which would not play because of Music Giants DRM before I tried using the same computer to go to Music Giants web page.

By the way I do web design so I am not a novice about this and I don't know how it would be possible for DRM to block access to a web page. However I do not know much about DRM itself.

Here are 2 screen captures, the first is what I get when trying to visit www.musicgiants.com or www.hdgiants.com and the 2nd is what I get when trying to play a DRM protected Music Giants song with WMP in this case "Here Without You" by 3 Doors Down.

mg-capture.jpg

mg-capture2.jpg

Huh! Now THAT is WEIRD, Rich_Guy. I get the same error message when trying to connect with MusicGiants through Windows Media Player (and through the Internet), but not when playing the files. The files seem to play fine. Though I'll admit I haven't tried every single one of the files I've purchased; however, all the ones I've tried have played.

Like I said I can play most of my music, but most of it is probably DRM free anyway, I am not sure if any that work still have Music Giants DRM but my suspicion is no.

Also I do have some DRM protected music that was downloaded from Napster which is working fine.

Hmm, I can suddenly get on HDGiants tonight from my home computer. I even logged into my account, though it still would not let me update my credit card info, so I couldn't make a purchase. I see no other changes in the site, though. I wonder what, if anything, is going on.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, SOMETHING is happening at HDGiants. They've removed all the "new release" titles from their home page, and I can no longer log on to my account. Don't know if that's a good or a bad sign.

I had no problem using Music Giants WMP store and downloaded a few songs today.