HELP! X10 or X5 for best combination of good boomy bass with rich detail

Foo Fighters

I can't decide between the X10 or the X5, and I'm extremely frustrated. I do not have an opportunity to audition them. I bought the S4i last Friday from the Apple Store, and I was so impressed with the comfort and sound combination, that I knew an Image X series is what I'm looking for. Do both the X5 & X10 sound cleaner than the S4? At this point cost is not an issue. I just want the best sound. I want to hear some good boomy bass, while still hearing the clear crisp detail of an acoustic guitar being strum.

X10: I'm concerned it may have such great bass that it overshadows some of the rich detail, maybe veil it too much. Maybe the highs/treble is too rolled off?

X5: I'm concerned the bass may not be enough. I'm worried while it may have more detail than the X10, that I might feel like something is missing, or the sound is just not full enough. I want to feel the bass in addition to all the great detail.

In a nutshell, I'm scared that I might end up with too much bass and not enough detail, or enough detail, but not enough bass. I'm not interested in purchasing a pair, and then returning them if I'm dissatisfied. I want to get it right the first time!

Which Image would suit me?

1. I want crisp, clean detail with good bass.
  2. I'm not a bass head, but I'd like a good amount of boomy bass as long as it doesn't veil the crisp, clean detail. I don't like rolled off highs, like the Shure SE530's.
  3. Bass doesn't have to be boomy, but it needs to be present enough to give more depth and feel to the music, without sacraficing clarity and detail too much. I don't want to hear music, and feel that something is missing.
  4. I want a wide and deep soundstage with dimension.
  5. These will mainly be used with my iPhone 3GS w/ Apple Lossless, unamped for now. Later on, I may get an amp for them. I may use these with my Mac Pro tower w/ Apple Lossless in my Apogee Duet amp, but we'll see.
  6. I mainly listen to Alternative, Rock, Classic Rock, Acoustic and live performances, and Electronic.

Please do not suggest the other models. The image series are supremely comfortable and convenient, which are very important factors. I'm a little depressed that I missed the infamous Klipsch Image X5/X10 Sale last year, where everyone got them for half price. Is there another sale coming anytime soon? Does anyone know a good online place where I can get them a good price? (other than ebay).

• Moderators

The X5 is more detailed with better separation of frequencies.

I don't believe there are any price reductions planned. All authorized dealers should have them at $249. If you purchase from an unauthorized dealer, they would be responsible for any warranty claims.

Thanks!

The X5 is more detailed with better separation of frequencies.

I don't believe there are any price reductions planned. All authorized dealers should have them at $249. If you purchase from an unauthorized dealer, they would be responsible for any warranty claims.

Thanks!

I appreciate your response Amy (here as well as head-fi.org). In addition to the better separation of frequencies, can you please explain the X5's bass response in comparison to the S4 and the X10. That's what is holding me back from the X5. People say, the X10's bass is much more prominent, but the X5's bass is not lacking. The X5's bass is not lacking, is not a good enough explanation for me, for its bass response. Will I get a nice boomy bass, while still hearing the crisp detail of an acoustic guitar?

Hi Foo Fighter,

You bring up a very valid question for Image. Your description is spot on for X5. If you have used Etymotic ER4's you will consider X5's to be a warmer version of that design. Highly accurate with great vocal and HF articulation and the bass is not bloated at all, but rather tight and crisp.

I suspect that you are already an expert in this area but for those following along please read my blog which defines the difference between moving coil drivers and balanced armatures:

http://forums.klipsch.com/blogs/markb/archive/2009/10/02/different-strokes.aspx

This blog also goes into some details about S4 and X series. I am rather proud of our team for putting together the animation. Isn't it cool!

The reason I bring this up is that most moving coils are very slow in the kick drum region. This is because the moving mass is much larger than a balanced armature so the design has to overcome inertial to deal with the acceleration. Typically the bass region becomes bloated and anything but tight. S4 reduces this problem due to the motor design having a high magnetic flux field in the gap of the voice coil. That being said... the X series is much tighter and more accurate, especially X5. I am biased I suspect, but if I was to guess, most people who try X5 will claim that it is one of their favorite designs, for sound signature... Fit and Ergo issues aside.

Try the X5's. I think you will be pleased with the acoustic performance from your description.

Thanks guys, I appreciate your swift responses. I found someone who is going to sell me their X10 with the remainder of their warranty for an exceptionally low price. Even much less than the X5 retail. So I figure, I'm getting a bargain, and If I'm unhappy with the sound, I should be able to get a good amount, or trade for an X5. I just hope this guy actually pulls through. If not, the x5 it is.

I don't know if you live by one, but Ultimate Electronics has the Image X10s for $129. I'm pretty sure you can buy a warranty with Ultimate Electronics as well if they aren't considered a Klipsch Authorized dealer, even though they carry a huge array of Klipsch producs. http://www.ultimateelectronics.com/stores.php#

Btw, the warranty is somewhere around 20-30% of the price of whatever you're buying, so even with $30-40 bucks tacked on to the $129, it's a lot cheaper than the list price.

I live in Orlando, Florida, and there does not seem to be one by here. But I looked up their reputation online. They have horrible reviews. Some people even say scam. Google, "Ultimate Electronics" and "scam" and see what comes up. If they had a retail store near me, I would definitely check it out myself. I was considering to call them and asking them to mail me some, but the reviews scared me away. But thanks for the suggestion!

We bought all of our home theater equipment and had it installed by Ultimate Electronics. I'm not sure what stores the reviews you read are from, but the store we got all of our stuff from had incredibly professional employees who knew their stuff. And the person who pre-wired/installed all of our home theater components has been installing home theaters and other electronics for 10 years.

• 7 months later...

i'm sorry but shure sucks and overprice for earphone that cost 450 dollar rip-off hell even i will choose eytomic earbud over that garbage and top of line sound like between klipsch image x10 and x5 and only one is truth i didn't pay 450 dollar or 100 dollar more then image x10 for less sound quality this shit is going back please tell eytomic that have better flater response then klipsch again where in the hell is the bass the box on eytomic says it the way the artist intended not true that a bunch of bullshit in hip-hop/ pop there is bass or sometimes called low end performed klipsch should make 3 armature driver like shure se530 and should crush them for less money making them seem like retards and send back to what they best makes some damn microphones.

eytomic is way more accurate heck none of their model improved it same old flatter response that better klipsch but klipsch draw me because you are a no-comprises,premium audio and the only one that say that on your site and like your design is better than eytomic beside they suck you should tell go back to make hearing aid that what they are known for.