New Cornwall Owner

brian e

After watching the local classifieds for years, I finally found a pair of Cornwalls I wanted to buy. I understand these are Cornwall I's, s/n 8537951/2, with screwed on cabinet back panel and speakers mounted to the rear side of the baffle board. They're CBR's, unfinished birch. They've never been finished. The original owner told me he had them in storage for quite a while and fortunately they're essentially unblemished. It looks like he never pulled the grilles off. I think I may sand them lightly, band the front edge, and finish them with just Bartley's clear paste varnish. I've had excellent results with this product on fine furniture finishing.

After the seemingly pampered life these speakers have had, I do have one tweeter out. From reading past posts I gather I need an ElectroVoice diaphragm kit. Do I get one for their T35? I haven't removed the back yet, I expect to find a B crossover network. Should I consider an ALK upgrade? Or may I find I have some sort of Cornwall I to II transistion components?

Thanks,

brian e

Brian,

Congrats on getting a mighty fine pair of speakers! Before you ask too many questions, open up the back and see if the tweeter wiring is still intact. You may find a loose or bad wire connection.

It sounds like the speakers were not abused. If they were abused, there's a good chance that the tweeter was blown.

If you have oil caps in the X-over, I would definitely hook up some good amplification before you "modify" them.

Take a listen!

There be'll plenty of advice for amplification. My $0.02 says go for a 2A3 SET for the ultimate experience. Actually tubes & horns are made for each other. A good push-pull amp will sound nice too (new or vintage).

Have fun & enjoy,

Pete

Brian,

You may want to replace both tweeter diaphragms at the same time. If you order them from Klipsch, you'll get some decent instructions on replacement. I can't say anything about price difference or instructional materials from other sources as I only spoke to Klipsch. They did however, offer to help with phone support if there were any questions.

As far as the crossovers are concerned, you can do a search here and get way more information and opinions than you probably need. Mine have the original "Type B" and sound fantastic. Some people swear by the ALK's.

Check out the picture of mine. They were not in nearly as good shape as yours sound to be. All I've done is lightly sanded and rubbed them with linseed oil.

Have Fun,

Chris

PS I concurr with TP regarding tube amplification. It seems they were originally designed with tubes in mind.

------------------

2 channel

Klipsch Cornwalls (1978)

Cary CAD 300SEI amp (WE 300B's, various NOS 6SN7's)

Arcam Alpha MCD cd player

Sony 5000F Tuner (1968)

HT

Klipsch KG2.5 (front & rear)

Klipsch KV2 (center)

Klipsch SW12 (sub)

Marantz SR700 receiver

Toshiba DTS DVD

JVC SVHS VCR

Sony Hi8 VCR

Opened up the new Cornwalls today. Based on other's posts, no real suprises here. What I have:

Cornwall I (speakers mounted to rear of baffle board and screwed on rear panel),

s/n 8537951-2,

Type CBR (unfinished raw birch),

B3 crossover network,

K33E woofer,

K57K mid,

K77 tweeter.

brian e

My 85 I's have the same woofer, mid and tweeter. However, I replaced the B-3 Networks with earlier "B"

Series from my 71 Vertical Corns. The 71's were upgraded with ALK Networks. I would suggest living with them for a while in their present config before you consider making changes.

Enjoy them they are great speakers.

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

Shapeshifter,

What difference did the B network make in the 85 Cornwalls? Better? Also, what do you think of the ALK vs. the B network? Are you pleased? Observations?

Sorry about the barage of questions, but I am SERIOUSLY considering building some ALK crossovers to replace my B networks in my 1977 Cornwalls. I would hate to spend all that time and money if the benefits were not there.

Your advice is much appreciated.

Regards,

Andy

Andy,

Sorry, haven't checked in since early yesterday.

The 85 I's are great Cornwalls, but having been familiar with the Cornwall sound of the 60's-70's, I felt they were a bit too forward for me. I primarily listen to Jazz, so a pushy & forward delivery is not the preferred presentation for me. After buying and listening to the 71 Cornwalls I realized immediately, that was the sound I remembered, smooth, quick and a more refined delivery. I decided to ALK the 71 Vertical Corns and place their earlier "B" Networks in 85 I's. The 85 I's now have those smoother and silkier mid/high freq sounds. Bass notes are still quick, shape and very snappy, but without the forwardness. To my ears, it was a return to the Cornwall sound I remembered from the late 60's and early 70's.

If funds were not a consideration, I would definately get another set of ALK's for the 85's. Presently, the early "B" networks are a darn good substitute.

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 03-12-2002 at 08:39 AM

Thanks for the reply, Wes. I assume from you're post that you are not only happy with the B network in '85's, but also quite pleased with the ALK's in the '71's, which are being used in lieu of the original B networks.

I love my Cornwalls. After 10 years, I just never get tired of them.

Regards,

Andy

Andy,

You're right! I'm more than pleased with the sound of the 71 Vertical ALK Cornwalls. Better imagining, depth (back to front), and that smooth and liquid like flow of music you can simply get lost in. With the earlier networks in the 85's, I'm as close as I can get to ALK performance, without spending any additional dollars. Hey, 71 ALK's up front and 85 B networks in the rear. Man, that's a match made in Heaven. Maybe when Gabriel blows his horn, they will allow me to bring along my horns too!

Later,

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

Wes,

What kind of amp and preamp do you use with your Cornwalls. I am seriously considering the ALK crossovers for my '78 Cornwalls along with going to tubes all around. First I will see what the tube amp and preamp do, then if needed will also add the crossover upgrade. I mostly listen to jazz vinyl, but also more and more CDs. Two channel is enough for me at this point.

-trimmed and shaven

------------------

Cornwalls

currently upgrading

to all tube components

Hi Wes,

I too prefer the 'classic' Klipsch sound over the 'upfront' sound. To that end, I recently scored a set of 'B's to replace the 'B-3's in my '83 (rear) CW's. Curious though on how the K-57's 'take' the B net compared to the B-3? I have several K-55-V's laying around and was considering swapping the K-57 out but just was wondering how things sound from your perspective.

------------------

Ed

C&S,

Presently, I'm using the audio pre-outs from my NAD T 761 receiver to an Anthem Amp-1 tube amp to power the 71 Vertical Corns. I have a Dynaco ST 70 Mk II amp powering the rear 85 I's. My center and additional Heresy's fronts are connected to an Outlaw 750 amp. My additional rears (RS-3's) are powered by the NAD receiver. Just got loan of a CJ 14L preamp to use on my 2 channel Laurel mono block setup with outs to CJ from my Fisher 800-B for phono/tuner input and the Ah! Tjoeb CD direct to preamp. I've been rolling speakers (Belles, Corns & Quartets) all weekend, but do like what I hearing on the 2 channel setups. I too am primarily a CD jazz listener with some easy listening Rock discs and 70's R&B vinyl.

Edwardre,

I don't detect any significant timbre or tone mismatches with the K-57-K Squawkers, but I've only used the 85 I's as rear surrounds, not as mains. I do prefer their overall sound and character to the B-3 networks. My 71's have the K-55-V's and I do love their sound. Would certainly like to hear your comments on the sound of the B networks with K-55-V's vs. K-57-K Swuawker. You wouldn't happen to have an additional K-77 Tweet laying around that you would part with? My 85's had one original K-77 replaced with a K-77-M, no noticeable sound impact, but I would replace it with a K-77 if I find one. Those K-55-V's are kind of a rare aren't they?

Later,

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>