Put macho aside and the sound is much better

Cal Blacksmith

My HT had Forte 1s as mains with Quartet rears and KG1s as backs with a Academy center. I was operating under the premis that bigger was better (well it is isn't it????) thus my Fort'es just HAD to be the mains.

I had a pair of H2s not doing anything for a long while and I got to thinking (something always dangerous in this hobby) that the Quartets were being wasted in the side/rear position as there was no wall for either to use for the rear facing passive against, so in effect, the passives were not even there to produce the bass, and perhaps even worse, the Quartets may have been short changed in the sound that they were putting out. SOOOOOO.

I pulled the Fort'es out of main duty and moved the Quartets up to that position. Then the unused H2s got moved to the side/rear position because the H2s are a sealed box speaker and they would be less affected by the lack of having a wall to bounce off of behind them. I reballanced the system and there was a marked improvement in the sound. The side/rears were more effictive and had more authority while the fronts blended together a bit better. I was never totally happy with the blend of the sound with the Forte 1s K75 tweeter blending with the Adadmey K76. Now I have a K76 tweeter with 90(o)x40(o) Exponential Horns in the main 5 positions and the sound is seamless. MUCH better while not loosing anything to the bass in the room!

I moved my Fort'e speakers to replace the SF2s that were in the TV room (there is a HUGE difference in the size of these speakers!). The center, rears and sub are the same Synergy setup I had, but with the mains replaced, again the blend was much better across the front (though I don't know why). The sound had always sounded wooden to me but that is no longer the case. I then reballanced the speakers to the AVR and I must say that I am again pleased with the sound of the setup. The TV room had always been a second thought and while better than the TV speakers, it was not near the quality of any of my other setups in the house. Now the TV room does not hold second place status any longer. The Fort'es add the depth of sound that was lacking and are very detailed.

All in all, without spending ANY money, I improved the sound of 2 systems..... ya gotta love that!

Anyone want to buy a pair of SF2s?[:P]