Harmony Remotes

Youthman

• Moderators

Yes, a repeater will cure that. Smart Home also sells repeaters here is a link to one which looks pretty nice.

I know this sounds bad but I'm cheap. $89 to make my lights work with a separate remote doesn't seem too cost effective to me. Again, I'm cheap. I would be fine using the Harmony One to control everything and then picking up the little remote to dim the lights. I just want to reduce my 3 remotes (PS3, Yamaha and Panasonic) down to one that is easy for my wife to turn it on and off. I'm not into impressing my friends. I can do that just by turning up the volume. [:D]

The Harmony will probably be able to work your lights, this just depend on if the light remote is IR or RF. If it is IR the Harmony will most likely work.

The only thing a repeater will do is make either remote work if the IR sensor is not easily reached by either remote as you said blocked by the seating especially if someone is sitting there.

So you as long as the Harmony can learn the IR of the dimmer you can lose the little remote and only use the Harmony.

youth, are you still using your ps3 remote? if so look into Blu-Wave. i have it. it's $15 and it does everything except, turn it on and eject. that hasn't been an issue because i keep the ps3 controller near with i want to play games. if i am watching movies, i have to go up to it to insert the disk so i am not losing much. you could get swanky and buy the $50 option from logitech and it will do those 2 extra commands, but i know you and i suffer from the Cheap bug....lol

oh, and the x-10 stuff i bought cost me less than $40 for everything. the other brand may be better but for my use, the x-10 works perfect, and it's CHEAP! lol lol lol

• Moderators

Yes, I've looked into the Bluwave. It's the least expensive alternative. Harmony released this adapter for the PS3 that will allow the Harmony One to control the PS3 so I might look into getting that since I'm getting the Harmony One for free. It does have the ability to turn on and off the PS3 since it does not require hooking up to the USB port. The reason the Bluwave cannot turn on the PS3 is that when the PS3 is turned off, so is the USB port so it is not accessible.

I just saw this deal and thought someone might be interested: (No affiliation)

Tiger Direct via eBay has Logitech Harmony 670 Universal Remote for (refurbished) for $39.99 with free shipping. Next lowest on Google Products from a reputable store is $117 shipped. Thanks DJ3xclusive
Note, price comparison is for a non-refurbished one.

It may be a way for somone to get a inexpensive refurbished remote.