An interesting conversation this evening about custom built cabinets

jhoak

I'm not real sure where I should post this. It may be better off as an addendum to a previous post about La Scalas vs Bells. Then again it may well be better off a new post. Moderators... Please feel free to move this post to wherever you deem appropriate.

First the back story... My father spent his working life building upper-middle-class custom homes. I worked for him for a few years and learned skills that still serve me well today. He's now retired and spends his days slowly driving my mother insane (something he excels at) and puttering around various construction projects mostly at their church.

This evening I needed to stop by their house to drop off a few things. When I got there I discovered that they were entertaining a couple who have been close friends for 30+ years. The fellow who was there was also a builder (now retired) who rather than drive his wife insane opened a custom cabinet shop to occupy his time. He pretty much works on what he wants to when he wants to.

I slipped in to my mother's “office” and quickly printed off the basic plans for La Scalas, Belles, and Klipschorns.

I handed him the La Scala and Belle plans and asked which one would be easier to build. After a few minutes of study he says “they're about the same. Where one has a bit more complex geometry the other has a few more pieces. Pretty much a wash time and material wise.

I then gave him the Klipschorn plans and and he says “Oh I've built some of these already. There's a doctor here in town who wanted four of them for his theater room”. I so want to see this theater room.

After a few more minutes of chit-chat he reveals that he has a source on 1” thick Baltic Birch plywood. He wasn't sure if it was 13 or 15 or maybe 17 ply but he can get it. It ain't cheap but it's available. That said I asked him to cost me up a pair of Belle cabinets in 1” birch. I can veneer them if I get so inspired but I suspect that they're look pretty good as BBRs.

I'll let you all know how this shakes out. Oh yea... Just one more thing... Anyone want to buy a pair of really nice La Scalas veneered in red oak? :)

I'll know more tonight or tomorrow. He's supposed to call me with pricing. I really wish I had a way to use KHorns in my living room but it just ain't gonna happen in my current house.

How much for the La Scalas? HMMM... Well I guess that depends a lot on what he wants for the Belle cabinets. :) Have you seen the pictures of them? At the moment they're at a point where they could easily be "finished to order" for someone. Asuming the price on the Belle cabinets is reasonable I could even sell cabinets only and keep all of the drivers for the Belles. To be honest I really haven't given it all that much thought yet.

If you haven't seen the pictures of the project they're here: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/125734.aspx

To be honest I really haven't given it all that much thought yet.

If you haven't seen the pictures of the project they're here: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/125734.aspx

You are going in many different directions after a few knee jerk reactions. I have done this before and it never turns out for the better. Why don't you slow down, finish your LaScalas and enjoy them? You did a great job and they are beautiful.

Oh sorry. Your post above. Didn't mean to interfere. Embarrassed

No worries. You're not interfering with anything.

I know how this is going to shake out. He'll call me with the price for the cabinets and when the shock wears off I'll say something like "thanks, I'll let you know when I'm ready". I already know that he only works on what he wants to AND he gets premium prices for his work. He is though very very good.

In the end I'll end up with the finished La Scalas blazing away in my living room with my fat a$$ on the couch, drink in hand and a big stupid grin on my face. I really don't see any problem with that.

When you figure that a complete new driver compliment with crossover is close to $1500 no matter what the price is for the cabinets I can probably find some mint Klipsch built Bells cheaper if I'm patient.

Might be interesting to know how much the cabinet man would charge to make you a set of Jubilee bottoms for 2ea 12" Woofers...or pursue the CornScala thread. Somewhere it has to come to an end. The Red Oak LaScalas would be nice. I have never heard a LaScala that I did not like, but what do I know. The Jubilee bass bins only project out maybe like 24" from the wall....and they were Dr. Klipsch's best design, accoprding to some. Everybody that's talking says the jubilees are the ultimate in that genre...