2 channel choices... What to do?

jhoak

My current 2 channel system consists of a Marantz 2240 receiver, a pair of Cornscalas, a Clearaudio Emotion turntable and a couple of digital sources. It sounds wonderful but I want to take it to the "next level". I have a couple of options available to me at my budget.

Option #1 Add a tube amp, probably a Dynaco ST-70 or a pair of MKIIIs or the like with the budget being around $1000. Continue to use the 2240 as a preamp/phono stage until I can afford a decent preamp/phono stage.

Option #2 There is a locally available set of 3 McIntosh components. A C-26 preamp, MR-73 tuner, and MC-2505 amp. These will meet my budget point assuming I'm able to sell the 2240 at a decent price.

I defer to the vast accumulated wisdom, knowledge, and experience of the forum collective for guidance.

Option #1 Add a tube amp, probably a Dynaco ST-70 or a pair of MKIIIs or the like with the budget being around $1000. Continue to use the 2240 as a preamp/phono stage until I can afford a decent preamp/phono stage.

Take a look at this C-list ad. I looks like the gear belongs to Clermont Cop. If it is, you need to pounce on it. I have seen and heard these Heathkits powering my KG4's and the synergy was hard to top. I am sure your Cornscala's will sound much better. They are in great condition inside and out.

http://orlando.craigslist.org/ele/1407956608.html

Bill

Option 1 for sure. Low to mid priced receivers, because of their design brief, usually offer compromised sound as compared to dedicated 2 channel amplifiers. Although some better designed and possibly more expensive receivers can surprise. I would buy a nice tube amp and keep the receiver for a while for phono duties. But as you are probably aware, the receiver's phono stage would be only suitable as a stop gap uintil you could afford a decent phono stage. Maybe if you sold the receiver at the earliest opportunity, this may fund your 'new' phono stage.

Regarding the McIntosh stuff. I'm not familier with those models. Aren't they really old? Also they're solid state products aren't they? I'd stick to option 1...