Starting from scratch - configure a system for metal

Yukon Jackass

I always thought Klipsch and metal was a good combo - then again, I only had KG 2.2s through mid fi Yamaha equipment. Not refined, but "Master of Puppets" sure as hell sounded good to me at the time.

Most of the newer metal and hard music I listen to these days are bands like Opeth, Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, Riverside, etc. Not so much death metal - but I did like the new Dethklok! I was raised on classic rock, so it's stuff like Zeppelin, Rush, Triumph, Rainbow, Deep Theater, KISS, and old Aerosmith. Older metal like Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Dio, Ozzy, Mercyful Fate, and a lot of the '80s and '90s thrash, along with bands like Voivod, King's X, Faith No More, and Primus. The old stuff - before the LOUDNESS WARS!

I am going with the Heresy IIIs, with a tube amp to be named soon. For digital, I am getting a Wadia iDock and a budget DAC. Then, it's a KAB Technics SL1200, a Nitty Gritty record cleaning machine, and a world of old school heavy metal records to be collected.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can verify that Heresy 3s and tube amps can rock fairly well. I don't listen very loud but I've only 25 wpc on that system, it's plenty loud for me but if I wanted to really crack the foundation I'd look at tube amps with 45-60 watts. You'll also need a sub for proper wall shaking bass (true for any system). I'm not a metal head, I'm more of a classic rocker but I don't think you can do better than Klipsch for this kind of music. My system is expressly designed to play my older music and be extremely listen-able. So far it's worked out great.

Thanx, Russ

I can verify that Heresy 3s and tube amps can rock fairly well. I don't listen very loud but I've only 25 wpc on that system, it's plenty loud for me but if I wanted to really crack the foundation I'd look at tube amps with 45-60 watts. You'll also need a sub for proper wall shaking bass (true for any system). I'm not a metal head, I'm more of a classic rocker but I don't think you can do better than Klipsch for this kind of music. My system is expressly designed to play my older music and be extremely listen-able. So far it's worked out great.

Thanx, Russ

Looking at some sort of tube integrated, or even separates, with at least 40 watts with KT88s. No sub. Refuse to do it. I have a tiny little room and my gut feeling is that a sub won't really be needed. My old KG 2.2s went about as low as the H3s, and I was happy with them.

I change my mind. I am keeping the KLF series for HT. Forte II's all the way for good rock and/or heavy music. The bass and clarity of the forte II is deeper, thicker and clearer. While the KLF 20 is an amazing speaker...it is better suited for HT.

You know, a lot of people praise this speaker. If Klipsch can revive the RF7, then why can't they reissue the Forte II?

I addressed this question to Mr. Klipsch at one of the Klipsch Fest events. They would love to, but alas, the cost of the wood used back then and the design are not "Cost Effective " to reproduce in this day and age........... A labor intensive speaker.

Regardless of room size...KLF 20's (sub IS needed) Forte II's (no sub needed)...for that matter...KG4's (NO sub needed)

Something about the rear passive sub really makes the ported KLF series sound weak compared. Granted, if you listen at EXTREME levels...the KLF series will tighten up and the bass will punch you in the face...however, the deal for me is that I can't listen to shit that loud. haha. When you crank on the forte II's or similar...they sound AWSOME. I think klipsch was going for something with the KLF series, but they missed it. Once again though, the KLF is awsome for HT and I would use it over most other klipsch stuff for movies.

The metal industry?? The music is there.. With bands like Within Temptation, Kamelot, Dreamtheater, and Tool how can you say there there isn't good metal out there? or that the "industry" is messed up..

Go buy tickets to Trans-Siberian Orchestra this season, hands down one of the best metal shows to go to. AND it's family friendly.

I so agree with this. I wonder what type of "metal" people are listening to. Granted, the "commercial" junk that is being shovelled out by the major labels are pretty crappy from a recording stand point. However, get something from some of these smaller, independent labels, or even self-produced, in which everybody actually cares about the quality of the music itself, not just "how it sounds on the radio", and there is actually some very nicely recorded material out there.

As for the speakers - well, a pair of RF-7s fronted with a B&K Reference 200.7 amp is serving me very nicely. I've listened to some of these much vaunted Heritage setups, and to be honost, I am still quite impressed with what my trusty ol' RF-7s/B&K setup is capaable of.

I guess, in the end, whatever floats your boat.

Looking at some sort of tube integrated, or even separates, with at least 40 watts with KT88s. No sub. Refuse to do it. I have a tiny little room and my gut feeling is that a sub won't really be needed.

Yukon,

40 plus watts will work fine, although EL-34s are my preference. Now lets talk about a sub. No you don't NEED one but I just can't do without that low bottom end. Like I said I'm a classic rocker so Dark Side of the Moon or ELP Luckyman just isn't the same without some deep subsonics! Hsu Research has their 10 inch on sale for $325, it's a sweet little sub............... just saying?

Thanx, Russ

• 10 months later...

Hi.

I'm new to forum. I'm considering new speaker's for 2-ch setup listening to heavy metal (Lamb of God, Metallica, black metal, In Flames) and prog rock (DT, PF, genesis) + some TV/DVD movies.

My setup is Exposure XV integrated amp (40W SS, good current delivery) + Epos ES14 speaker's. Source's will be some good CDP and maybe Rega P3 record player.

My room is around 4x5 m and opening to the kitchen in concrete apartment house. Speakers will be placed quite near (0-60 cm) drywall (not hardwall). I like sound to be fast accurate and preffer lean fast bass over thich but slow bass.

What Klipsch model do you suggest for me? I have looked RF-7 (or II) but I think they are too big and new model too pricey. I would like speaker to have nicer finishing than vinyl veneered RF-52/62/82. Plastic feet not looking so nice... :( Klipsch speakers are not so pretty when compared to other manufacturer's. But I liked their cheap prices and comments of suitability for rock music.

Thanks,

Ali

So your have approx. 13x16 room that opens to a kitchen, I think you have quit a bit of room for for rf 7s. You may all so want to consider something from the Heritage line, they are made out our of wood with most having wood veneers. I love jamming some Lamb Of God on vinyl with my Cornwalls at my old place, and now my Fortes. I would think any of those would work fine. If they are too big you can look at some Heresies I just think they might be to small for your room, maybe not, but you could run a sub with them for more bass in that large of a area.

Your best bet is to find someone locally that would let you audition them.

good luck

Duder.

I find this thread interesting as there are so many Klipsch speakers suggested for metal. I'm a metal head along with other music too.

I'm not the final word by any means but I would have to disagree with some of the comments/suggestions.

I've had two pairs of Cornwalls and they are terrible with metal. I mean really bad. That is with old or new metal...

Can't comment on heresies and metal

Chorus 2 's I have ......not good either with metal

Lascala II....terrible with metal. Interesting enough...I had some LS 1's with ALK universals and a sub that worked pretty good though.

I have had other variety of horns systems/custom that sucked bigtime with metal. About 2 different setups with K402's with either KPT-904's or Tractrix bass horns...passive or active...not good

I had a K510 on a dbb bass bin with extreme slope network....intereting enough....that was OK. Cornscala with extreeme slope passives.....pretty good.

Never heard a KLF series....wish I had.

I have RF-52's which are pretty good....

The best memory I have with Klipsch and really cranking metal...was my late KG 5.2's with a carver solid state setup. Vinyls and CD. I used to crank that system and it full bodied w/o any harshness. That same Carver setup on my corns and la scala was terrible....even w/o the metal.

jc

I

Cool thread ressurection. I have listened to many of the KG models, and also think they do metal very well at loud volumes. I have KG 4.2s in the garage. My brother's KG 5.5s definately rock.

Forte IIs are good, but the highs get shrill as the decibels get up there (at least with my mid-fi gear). At medium volume levels they're very juicy.

I find this thread interesting as there are so many Klipsch speakers suggested for metal. I'm a metal head along with other music too.

I'm not the final word by any means but I would have to disagree with some of the comments/suggestions.

I've had two pairs of Cornwalls and they are terrible with metal. I mean really bad. That is with old or new metal...

Can't comment on heresies and metal

Chorus 2 's I have ......not good either with metal

Lascala II....terrible with metal. Interesting enough...I had some LS 1's with ALK universals and a sub that worked pretty good though.

I have had other variety of horns systems/custom that sucked bigtime with metal. About 2 different setups with K402's with either KPT-904's or Tractrix bass horns...passive or active...not good

I had a K510 on a dbb bass bin with extreme slope network....intereting enough....that was OK. Cornscala with extreeme slope passives.....pretty good.

Never heard a KLF series....wish I had.

I have RF-52's which are pretty good....

The best memory I have with Klipsch and really cranking metal...was my late KG 5.2's with a carver solid state setup. Vinyls and CD. I used to crank that system and it full bodied w/o any harshness. That same Carver setup on my corns and la scala was terrible....even w/o the metal.

jc

I

Maybe you really just don't like metal,

Just messin with you.