Cornwall II/III vs Chorus II

guenaels

I cannot speak to the Cornwall III having not heard them, but by all accounts they are an excellent speaker. I own both Chorus II's and Cornwall II's. They trade in the used market around the same dollar values. Each has it's attributes, weigh the same and have similiar footprints, with the
Cornwall the wider of the two. I don't believe you could make a mistake buying either speaker as they both handle a wide variety of music well. It seems that the majority of the forum members prefer the Cornwall over the Chorus, but there is a vocal minority of us that would take the Chorus as our first choice. Perhaps it is that I have owned the Chorus for longer and have become enamored of its' sound.

For you it will come down to price, if that is a consideration, the condition of the cabinets, shipping costs and if you have the ability to demo the speakers to see which ones you prefer. All in all, a pleasant situation to be in.

They are all very fine speakers and you can't go wrong.

I own Quartet and Forte II which have the tractrix midrange and like them very much.

I will point out that Klispch was so impressed with the tractrix after much experimentation and testing that it created the Forte II. See here http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/44621.aspx?PageIndex=1

The exponential mid in the Forte is similar to that in the CWs.

People report that the Forte and Forte II are similar in the midrange from their listening. That seems a bit contrary to what Klipsch reports in the article. My only explanation is that perhaps the tractrix does better in rooms which need its more controlled vertical dispursion. Many of the recent Klipsch products use the tractix type midrange.

Also, the Chorus II, unlike the Chorus or CW use a passive radiator for bass augmentation. Part of the reason may be that it allows a smaller internal volume of the box as compared to the vented system.

As you can see, I'm arguing for the Chorus II for the reasons stated above. Again, you can't go wrong either way.

Wm McD