Sansui 9090 w/ Kg3 and Heresy Speakers

JjR

Hi,

I have a pair of Kg3 speakers for the garage and just purchased a 9090 (has not been delivered yet) will I have any problem using that receiver with the Sansui as I know that the Kg3 speakers are not watt rates as much as the 9090 can put out. Same question goes for the Heresy speakers as I have those in the home and am in process of getting another 9090 to go with them.

FWIW after having a Sansui 7070 I really liked the sound through the Heresy as well as the Kg3 speakers so I figured that I would upgrade a bit. I looked for a nice 8080 but came across a couple 9090s that looked to be well take care of. One is a 9090 and the other is a 9090db.

TIA,

John

• Like 1

It is much better to have the amp put out more power than the speakers are rated for than the other way around.

Either set of speakers will have your ears bleeding before you reach the max output of your amp.

You need CLEAN power to the speakers, not distorted power. It is the distortion that will destroy the voice coils of your speaker by heating them up and burning them out, this is the situation you will have with power hungry speakers and low powered amps. With either the KGs or Heresys, you should not have that problem.

That said, if you hear the voice coils bottoming out (banging from the speakers) you will want to turn it down a bit so you don't damage the speakers (but at that volume, your ears won't last long either so a word to the wise should be enough).

Cal pretty much covered it! I will just ephasize what he said about making sure the voice coils do not bottom out. Speaking from experience with a set of Heresy IIs, 25 watt spikes can make the woofers bottom out if you have low frequency material! So be careful and if you here a popping sound when your have a large bass spike like a kick drum turn the volume down. A couple times should not damage the woofers unless you way over do it. But it will definitely scare the hell out of ya!

From what I read those 9090s are great amps. I have not had a chance to hear one myself but they are rated as the top of the Sansuis over at Audiokarma for sure. Enjoy your new gear!

Daniel

Thanks all for the info,

I'm a old dude so loud is not my forte, unless I have a few pops in me ;-) The heresy speakers are in my bedroom and I just listed to quiet classical music. The Kg3 goes in the garage and those maye be abused a mite.

JJohn

Cal pretty much covered it! I will just ephasize what he said about making sure the voice coils do not bottom out. Speaking from experience with a set of Heresy IIs, 25 watt spikes can make the woofers bottom out if you have low frequency material! So be careful and if you here a popping sound when your have a large bass spike like a kick drum turn the volume down. A couple times should not damage the woofers unless you way over do it. But it will definitely scare the hell out of ya!

From what I read those 9090s are great amps. I have not had a chance to hear one myself but they are rated as the top of the Sansuis over at Audiokarma for sure. Enjoy your new gear!

Daniel

• Like 1

The 9090 is a fantastic piece of iron, I was fortunate to pick up an old shop Sansui with about 1"of sawdust in the case for about 20 bucks. I got it home, blew it out and DeOxit the crap out of the pots, and lo! I had brought the beast back to life. I mated it to a pair of crappy looking, but glorious sounding Heresy II's in my garage, and it kicked serious fanny. I think the Sansui sound coupled with the Klipsch Heritage is a great thing, even if you dont like receivers, that 9090 pumps out enough wattage to drive anything Klipsch made - ever.

B

Well I'm running a set of KG4' with a 9090 and I love them.Also have a Sansui 4000 that sounds outstanding with the same KG4's.So I think you got a winner on your hands there.

You WILL NOT be able to turn the volume past the nine o'clock position.It will scare the concrete into submission if you do!

Did I say how much I love my Sansui 9090-Klipsch KG4's combo?