DIY sub info

Juxta Pose

Hey I'm looking for some extra bass to accompany 4x Klipsch kp-362's.

Used outdoor for electronic music mostly,

Any ideas on powered/passive, driver(15"/18") and layout( tapped/folded etc.)?

I haven't had much experience with powered speakers, I've got a 400w Qsc power amp free so I'd like to use that but most likely will need more power, and a dedicated sub amp? I also have a 200w sub amp that I haven't really tested but imagine it won't provide the boost I'm after...

What are some good on board amps, considering price an performance?

In regards to DIY plans, I need something with some proven results(some of these guys seem a bit dodgy), I can follow a well made plan, an I don't want to put my time, effort an money into something which turns out to be a freakshow!

Any ideas, comments appreciated...

I'm in the process of building 2 bass bins for my industrial Heresy's. They'll be 7.25 cu/ft apiece and each have a Peavey Lowrider 18" driver. There will be a build thread when I'm finished. Currently, the boxes are built, but I still need to get them sprayed with bedliner material. Stay tuned.

Hey guys

Wow it's been a pretty amazing journey since I last logged on here!

Had been heading towards a BFM design too, the tuba 36. All looked good until I came across some contraversy involving a speaker test graph for the tuba 36 being advertised outside in half space when it had actually been tested indoors. This indicated a greatly increased Spl to what was actually possible in half space.

This was enough to make me a bit doubtful, ALTHOUGH 99.99% of feedback is POSSITIVE for BFM (especially the Titan's an Autotuba), really giving me no need for concern. This is the only error I've been made aware of. So I've ended up finding a guys design on DIYaudio which ticks all the boxes for me.

I use four Klipsch kp-362 pro series speakers outdoors for electronic music, the kp's produce 126db@1m with 300w so I needed at least 130 db sub to cover match. Being electronic music there's a lot of strong lows so I started to look for a 30hz design, but because of size limitations and difficult builds I opted for a 40hz Tapped Horn, using 15" JBL GTO car subwoofers. Car subwoofers it seems, work very well in tapped horns because of there rugged build, high excursion, cheap cost, and high output. Tapped horns really do make sense after a bit of research, a really good concept.

I'll need to build four of them to get the required Spl to boost my kp's.

The build will start in the new year, I'll set up a thread with pics

Here's a link to the thread: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/127908-jbells-set-four-tapped-horns.html#post1582984

Big thanks to everyone here at Klipsch community and to everyone at DIY audio for all your help

P.S. I've just acquired some Heresy 1's, where can I find more info about your industrial Heresy's CECAA850?

Had been heading towards a BFM design too, the tuba 36. All looked good until I came across some contraversy involving a speaker test graph for the tuba 36 being advertised outside in half space when it had actually been tested indoors. This indicated a greatly increased Spl to what was actually possible in half space.

It is my understanding that a gentle rolloff in free space is compensated for by room gain and is only an issue if you are going to use the speaker outdoors/VERY large spaces. You may in fact have to end up with EQ to reduce output in your actual application if the 'free' space response is flat.