Thorens TD160

Ocnorb

You should be able to find a nice working unit (any of the less expensive Thorens will do - 160, 165, etc.) for about $100-$125 USD without cart. I think they are nice sounding tables for the money and an inexpensive Shure M95E or $50-$75 Grado mate well. I've owned a couple and only sold to upgrade to a MUCH more expensive setup. I still have one in my family room that I listen to quite often.

Edit: I take that back. Just checked Ebay and it seems prices are on the rise. I'm shocked at what they are selling for these days!

If you are considering a TD 160, I suggest you go to The Analog Dept site. It has great info on the Thorens and DIY tweaks with excellent photos and directions. I did the chassis dampening and found it made a big difference in the bottom end.

http://www.theanalogdept.com/thorens_td_160_dept_.htm

Tom

Having had a "wad" of Thorens over the years, with good dampening, a good cartridge, new rubber band...., etc. They sound pretty good. Chassis dampening and isolating them from whatever they are sitting on is a key factor is getting good solid bass out of them.