Am I nuts? RF-63 vs RF-7

Ouachita

If I did it again I would bi-amp them with tubes on top to horns and SS to woofer with an active crossover.

I experimented with this a little bit, just a passive setup using the modded RF-7 crossover. The results were as expected, much better bass response than with 300b's alone, but it just seemed like a waste of beautiful tube power with the crossover point so high (2200hz). You just loose too much of that tube midrange. If I had an active crossover I might try it again, but I don't think it's safe to run the horn much lower than it already is. Does anyone know how low the RF7's HF driver can safely go?

Currently I am pushing my KG 5.5's with an old H/K tube amp(1964), they sound delicious. Great bottom end and clear detailed highs and smooth mids. I had some RF-3's that I pushed with a Denon and a Yamaha for awhile. They were harsh! good detail and bass thump, but harsh...then came the tube amp, WOW! what a difference. A friend of mine told me Klipsch were made for tubes, I now believe him.

A good 40 watt push-pull amp ( which is what I am using right now) will give you great detail, instrumental seperation, and plenty of oomph. You will definetly hear a big change, and fatigue will never bother u again. The RF-7's are the big boy reference series(102db sensitivity) and 40 watts will pump them very well, u could even go for 50 or 60 tube watts and have plenty of power. I can say for sure that if u will audition a tube amp you will be impressed.[;)]

Currently I am pushing my KG 5.5's with an old H/K tube amp(1964), they sound delicious. Great bottom end and clear detailed highs and smooth mids. I had some RF-3's that I pushed with a Denon and a Yamaha for awhile. They were harsh! good detail and bass thump, but harsh...then came the tube amp, WOW! what a difference. A friend of mine told me Klipsch were made for tubes, I now believe him.

A good 40 watt push-pull amp ( which is what I am using right now) will give you great detail, instrumental seperation, and plenty of oomph. You will definetly hear a big change, and fatigue will never bother u again. The RF-7's are the big boy reference series(102db sensitivity) and 40 watts will pump them very well, u could even go for 50 or 60 tube watts and have plenty of power. I can say for sure that if u will audition a tube amp you will be impressed.Wink

I was just wondering what preamp you use or is it an integrated?

A good 40 watt push-pull amp ( which is what I am using right now) will give you great detail, instrumental seperation, and plenty of oomph. You will definetly hear a big change, and fatigue will never bother u again. The RF-7's are the big boy reference series(102db sensitivity) and 40 watts will pump them very well, u could even go for 50 or 60 tube watts and have plenty of power. I can say for sure that if u will audition a tube amp you will be impressed.Wink

I was just wondering what preamp you use or is it an integrated?

The Harmon/Kardon is an integrated A700 award series, it has been upgraded with Hammond trannies and a silver-mica tone section and pumps about 40w/ch compared to the original 35w/ch stock. The RF-3's loved it...really smoothed out the brightness of those titanium tweets, although the RF's drink the power, I had no problem running the gain at half power while the speakers whistled and filed their nails, as if to say, HEY, is that all u got![:|]

Guest David H

I wish I had mine back to run the Dynaco Mark III's on them 60 watts of tube power.

Johnny 5 has a pair of Dynaco MkIII's driving RF-7's in his theater, really sounds good.