Khorn alert

Colin

Why is it that when such potential deals surface, they are in the middle of nowhere??? Aaaaargh! By my calculations, it's 18 hours to Utah. Uhhh, that's a bit too far, unless they go reeeealy cheap! I've had a vision of stumbling onto a cheap, unwanted pair such as these (great opportunity to set up with a starter tube set), and work on 'em a little. I've got some TLC allocated for a future paircwm30.gif

------------------

First we Rock, then we Roll!

Fishin' ... you're right, this looks like a steal deal. And they aren't in too bad shape, really. Having just done a restoration, I'd say that if the horns are good, it would take less than $100 to restore these to living room condition. Not sure if the side panels are still around, and just being stored somewhere else. Even so, any one of use could give you a penciled stencil from which you could make a pair from 1/2" or 3/8" plywood. A few yards of new cloth from Klipsch, a pair of logos, stripper, stain and they're good to go. Just sweat equity.

A good way to transport these is to rent a Ford Aerostar or Dodge Grand Caravan. One slides in from the back tailgate, the other in sideways from the side sliding door. The top HF sections are really easy to remove (two wingnuts per speak), so even a good sized SUV would work (e.g., Yukon, Suburban). So, grab your 2-week advanced purchase cheap airline ticket, rent a van at SLC Airport (one of the third tier rental companies that don't whack you with a drop-off charge equivalent to the GNP of a Third World country), and drive 'em home and love 'em back to health.

With the money you save you can put in a nice pair of Al's special goodies to boot.

------------------

If you don't like what is coming out, you wouldn't like what is going in." -PWK-

---------------------

TWO-CHANNEL SYSTEM

AES AE-25 "Superamp"

AES AE-3 Pre-amp

New Tube 4000 CD Player

1976 Klipschorns (ALK'ed)

HOME THEATER

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Great advice, Chris! I have taken many such trips and it works.

However, if you have a business address to send it from and a business address to receive it, and you put them in a crate and specify they should be put on a pallet... you can call BAX Global to pick it up and get it across the country... insured... for about $300 for a pair of K-Horns... and get it in about three days. So far they have gotten even more delicate stuff than K-horns to me without a scratch... including an antique wooden press un-boxed on a pallet... it even weighed more than both my K-horns put together.

cwm40.gif Requesting a pallet usually doesn't cost any more and usually precludes other freight being stacked on top of yours. HornEd

PS: But your travel strategy still doesn't beat your tip that put me on to Steve Morse... Thanks again... your sampler is on as I type this.

This message has been edited by HornEd on 03-07-2002 at 01:12 PM

BAX Global ... I'll have to remember that Smile.gif

Glad you're enjoying the sampler ... I'm running a second copy of it in the car during rush hour Smile.gif

------------------

If you don't like what is coming out, you wouldn't like what is going in." -PWK-

---------------------

TWO-CHANNEL SYSTEM

AES AE-25 "Superamp"

AES AE-3 Pre-amp

New Tube 4000 CD Player

HOME THEATER

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Yeah, good point. The bevel beneath them doesn't look quite right, either.

Probably should request photos of the serial number labels and the back of the HF section. I'll shoot him a note.

------------------

---------------------

TWO-CHANNEL SYSTEM

AES AE-25 "Superamp"

AES AE-3 Pre-amp

New Tube 4000 CD Player

HOME THEATER

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

quote:

Originally posted by dndphishin:

Why is it that when such potential deals surface, they are in the middle of nowhere??? Aaaaargh!
cwm30.gif

"...middle of nowhere..."?? Where were you during the 2002 Winter Olympics? Whoever heard of Moline, IL?

The speakers in that auction are not Klipsch, repeat not Klipsch. The winner of that auction will be disappointed and angry.

They are poor quality Klipsch K-horn knock-offs built in the late 70's by a now-defunct company called Speaker Factory in WA state (not to be confused with Speakerlab). They came with EV T-35 tweeters, a fiberglass copy of the Khorn squawker, an atlas driver and a bass section built of particle board with a cheap 15" woofer. The weakest link is their crossover.

I wouldn't pay $500.00 if they were in "as new" condition. It is not my auction but I'm positive that's what they are. So relax.

------------------

John Packard

Good G2. Someone needs to email that guy and challenge him to verify what they are or change the description (he'll probably have to cancel the auction).

------------------

---------------------

TWO-CHANNEL SYSTEM

AES AE-25 "Superamp"

AES AE-3 Pre-amp

New Tube 4000 CD Player

HOME THEATER

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Johnnyp, thank you very much for the update - the information is much appreciated.

While most haven't heard of Moline (Quad Cities), I am close to many major cities (3 hours west of Chicago). It is an advantage when Klipsch hunting. No disrespect intended, but Salt Lake City is a haul - cities are very spread out in that part of the country. You guys threw a hell of a party last month! An event like that really puts a city "on the map". SLC will enjoy benefits from the Olympics for years to come.

My luck on Klipsch in the last couple of months has been right speakers, wrong location on at least 4 or 5 desirable sets. I want to see and hear them in person - and am willing to drive distances for the privilege - but 18 hours is a stretch!! They've been popping up in Ariz, Utah, Wash, Ore - but I can't really get there to pick them up. When they show up in Chicago, prices go skyhigh (especially on ebay) and I'm not willing to pay the highest prices ebay gets - but I will pay a fair price. The east coasters must really have a hard time. My luck will change soon. Patience and persistance is the key to feeding the heritage addictioncwm16.gif

------------------

First we Rock, then we Roll!