Surround Placement

John0392

Now that my RF-3II are off and running (playing) I have to start preparing for the RS -3II surrounds. These babies are really large compared to my Quintet surrounds. I have an enclosed wall meaning 45 degree angles backside. My listening area is against the wall so my speakers will have to be horizontal to the ears. When mounting the RS3 there will only be about 2 to 3 inches from the back wall. Will this be a big problem or will the ambient sound be generated from the rear wall?

I hope I am not to confusing.

John,

Very glad to hear that you found the problem with the RF's. I don't have the WSDT surround from Klipsch but I think I remember reading a post from an owner that actually mounted his RS3's in the corner between the side wall and rear wall and was very happy with the setup. You could always try something like that. Try to temporarily set them up by making some make-shift stands and placing them in different positions to see if there is a noticeable differece. When you find the best postion stick with that and mount them up.

IMO, the HT world is filled with comprimises. No room is "ideal" and you have to just figure out the best solution for each situation.

John0392,

I have my RS 3II's mounted on the side walls of my listneing area. The right rear is open behind the speaker but the left rear is about 10 inches from the rear corner with out any sound problmes. This is similar to what you are running into. I think the speaker design will compensate for various room configurations. (These speaker are certainly not designed for mounting vetically.) Go for it..

Later,

------------------

A/VR- Yamaha 870

RF-3II

RC-3II

RS-3II

KSW12

DVD Panasonic RP-56

Pioneer 5 Disc CD

Echostar Digital Sat

Hitachi Ultravision 50"

You are correct, the RB3 is not conducive to mounting flush on a wall with the rear firing port. I would guess, and this is a guess, that the minimum distance form the wall would be 6". RB3's should be on a stand or bookshelf.

Later,

------------------

A/VR- Yamaha 870

RF-3II

RC-3II

RS-3II

KSW12

DVD Panasonic RP-56

Pioneer 5 Disc CD

Echostar Digital Sat

Hitachi Ultravision 50"

jperrerwe,

How high are your RS-3 IIs from ear level? Secondly, how far back are your RS-3 IIs from seating position?

------------------

Home Theater:

Display: Sony VPL-VW11HT 16:9 HDTV LCD Projector

A/V Receiver: Denon AVC-A11SR (European version of Denon AVR-4802)

DVD Player: Sony DVP-NS900V (European version)

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7s

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7s

Subwoofer: SVS CS-Ultra w/Samson S1000 amplifier

Actually, I haven't got them yet and am in the process of making decision regarding what to get.

My quintets are approximately (2) ft above ears and pretty much parallel to the ears because my couch is against the wall (no other place to put that).