Latest Scott Mod

NOSValves

Well just completed the latest Mdeneen engineered Mod to my Scott 222C. Its hard to believe how helpfull and Knowledgeable he is with these Oldie's but Goodie's. But anyway's the Scott was a "self bias as they call it" setup and all you had was Bias Balance adjustment so MDeneen sugested I add real bias adjustment to it. At first I wasn't sure I could understand everything it took to do it. But once I started it all fell together rather easy. While doing that I also replaced the Ageing Selenium Rectifier that produces the Neg. Bias current. They are known to fail and can raise Havoc. Cheap and easy $2 fix by themself.

Well its pretty late here and I can't crank it up. My first impressions are that all the sudden the singer is now dead center between my speaker before unless I messed with the balance it always seemed that the singer was 6" to 12" to left. I thought it was speaker placement in my small and cramped listening room. But now its perfect.

Well anyway's here's the Picture for you all. Let me know what you think !! I think I should of split where some of the connection go to all one lug on the new binding post myself and may change it yet.

222C-5.JPG

222C-6.JPG

222C-7.JPG

This message has been edited by NOS440 on 03-08-2002 at 01:27 AM

It comes with 7189 outputs. I'm currently running Telsa JJ EL84s in it right now. I can't really tell much in the way of different sound between the EL84 and the 7189s myself. There really nice Amps and this one actually worked perfect right from the get go. I had to clean the tube sockets was the only required work. All this stuff I'm doing is for the fun of it and to bring it into factory Spec or Better. I also have a Scott 299 that I bought that works fine too !! They look similar and use the same basic tube setup in the 299 and 299B. The 299C and D use 7591 outputs and really crank from what I here but the 7591s are hard to come by and expensive. I just love the Brushed brass look of the Scott amps myself they just look Classy.

Well here your Pictures

222C-8.JPG

222C-9.JPG

This message has been edited by NOS440 on 03-08-2002 at 07:46 AM

ShapeShifter

Yes I do but it sucks!!!! I use my Sony surround receiver when I listen to FM. I can only stand it if I'm not paying Attention to it. I have a Scott tube turner that needs some work to go with this when I get to it.

I'll tell you for no fuss listening I have 1500 mostly 70 Rock Roll of various Artist on my PC with a Phillips Acistic Egde soundcard and put all my Favorite on a Win AMP playlist and randomize the list and let it play. Anyone that is not using this as a Casual source is missing out. I have them all recorded at 224/44 bit rates done with the Lame encoder and use the Madd plug in for Win AMP. It sounds in my Opinion somewhere between CD's and Vinyl.

I have now did 2 hrs of serious listening after the latest mod and let me tell you all this Amp is sounding nothing short of Amazing. I'm only using Syenergy Sf-2 mains with a KSW-15 Sub (which can't be turned up yet because the base is to flabby soon to be fixed). I can't wait to finally find a set of Heritage-? Speakers somewhere near me at some kind of reasonable price. I just can't amagine this sound Improving much more. If anyone asks you what to get on a budget for a smallish room (mines 12X12) that will be awesome in surround movies and Music (For the Bucks)don't hessitate to recommend the Syenergy or entry level RF series they really do a great job for someone trying to do this on the cheap and do great with Tube AMPS !!

I do want to thank all the people in this forum and especially MDeneen , Mobile , Allan Songer (who suggested I buy this exact amp)and everyone else for there help and incouragement. I found my new Hobby to try and master. I just never amagined music sounding so good !! This really all got started when I bought Pro Media 5.1s for my PC and found just how horrible my all Sony surround system sounded. I think I'd commit suicide before I'd go Back Smile.gif !!!! LOL

Well that's where I stand stay tuned the Base mod will be done Tomorrow or Saturday and I'll keep everyone up to date on my progress !!

Craig

This message has been edited by NOS440 on 03-08-2002 at 09:38 AM

I thought you said class "A" was not possible with my Iron ??

I have another question is there a way to determine at what volume the amp switches from class A to A/B ?

There must be a very slight difference becasue I can't tell where it does this.

The Amp has been playing since 7:30 ET this morning and just sounds stunning. The mod did make a very distinct detail difference. It just seems right on the money now. It always did sound extremely warm but now its warm and tight sounding. How much of this can be attributed to the Heater voltage to the 12AX7's being right now or the Bias being perfectly matched on the output tube's. who knows ? But I bet its a little of both.

Yes MDeneen is right after much probing with my Vom. We did find things out of spec that sooner or later would burned up my high dollar Tele 12AX7's and the point here is its not wise to buy one of these Amps of any manufacturer and just run it as is. It may work and sound good but your chancing long term damage to various high dollar and maybe even parts that can never be replaced. This could result in rendering your new pride and joy useless.

Craig

This message has been edited by NOS440 on 03-09-2002 at 09:38 PM

Oh I'm going to keep going the Base mod parts arrived today. The thing sounds so good I just had to leave it for a day or 2 and enjoy besides have to get use to it before changing it again. Makes it easier to descern the difference.

Craig

• 1 year later...
Guest Anonymous

Craig,

Keep up the good work, you will have my amps soon, and ya better trick the 272 out to the max!!11.gif Thanks to mdeneen for the great reco!

Smilin

BTW the amp looks hot

Ryan,

I'd use them before Xicon 25 cent garbage !! Why do you insist on starting trouble ?? But if you look at the date this was done over 1 1/2 years ago and back then you thought orange drops were great !! I still think there a respectable cap for the money !

Craig

Craig,

What do the 2 preamp tubes on the far right / bottom of your picture controlling? Are those the phono section? Can you explain what each of those 4 preamp tubes control, so I can understand the layout?

I compared your pictures to my before and after pictures of my 222 that you rebuilt. There are Auricaps all over except those 2 bottom right preamp tube positions and at the 2 phase splitters. I believe you used Russian film and foils in those positions then went back to Auricaps for the outputs.

Hey guys, did you happen to pick up on the fact that the above post supposedly by me (a newbie) was a crafty and nicely done bit of friendly identity theft. Who around here has these cute chops?

"Did you already show the top of the chasiss with the tubes, I wouldn't mind seeing what that rest looks like. What kind of tubes does this use in the output?

-kibbled and bitted".

IppedClayedand Ornshade

Mark,

when looking at the amp from the front with it in its operation position. The 2 12AX7's on the right are the preamp/tone control tubes that are used no matter what your using for the source. The 2 on the left are just used for phono section !

Craig

Craig,

Thanks. Now I can see I have Auricaps all the way through on tape and tuner, what I use all the time.

By the way, both amps operating perfectly and sounding great. The little 222 is fast becoming my favorite. I think I am just begining to favor the Las over the corns, which I never did before. I still have not switched the amps to try the opposite combo. Too busy, but eventually I will.

Your amp looks clean and pretty. Yellow beats orange though. 11.gif

Maybe I am wrong about this. I just noticed that the post by me at the start of this thread was a long time ago, I guess I forgot I posted that. Guess it was me after all. Meanwhile I changed my avatar.

The funny thing is that I mistook myself for a parody of myself.

Craig,

That wasn't the real me who posted that question about what the top side of the amp looked like. The avatar is my '41 dodge truck, but there must be a newbie around here who has the same truck photo as avatar....or it is friendly reminder from other visually astute members that it is time to freshen up the old picture for a change. I was thinking that was a good idea too, and since the hot rod project is creeping along so slowly I cannot now post the finished picture..... so maybe it is time to associate myself with some new image....I mean my buddy fini has, so maybe its time....

c7s

Clipped,

To tell you the truth I really wonder just who the poster was that brought this back to the top. I replied to this thread fairly soon after he brought it up and he vanished when I said to email me and I will call you and give you the Information. Seems kind of strange ! In fact the entire thing seems strange.

Craig