OPPO Blue Ray Special Edition

Don Richard

"OPPO Digital recommends the BDP-83 Special Edition to customers who primarily use the analog audio output to connect to either a dedicated stereo or a multi-channel surround system. For customers who primarily use the HDMI output to connect to an A/V receiver or directly to a TV/projector, and for customers who primarily use the optical/coaxial digital audio output, the standard BDP-83 is recommended."

Pretty rarified need. As you know, I am not one who can tell one power cord or transistor from another sonically. With that in mind, my 981HD plays CD/SACD/DVD-A accurately. I want one of these for BR, but I don't expect to hear any difference in the audio.

I'd say this extra 300.00 is for those who've learned to hear parts and those who aren't sure of what they hear unless they spend a lot of money.

All that said, any OPPO is a good buy compared to the high priced spread which doesn't taste a bit more like butter...

JMHO

Dave

Pretty rarified need

I am about to step up to HDTV so I am thinking about Blue Ray so I can watch movies in 1080p. I'm not interested in 5.1, 7.1, or any surround sound format. That's what sound thru HDMI is for. I want to hang the TV on the wall between the Khorns and use them for the sound, jacking out of the BR player's stereo analog outs into my existing equipment for 2 channel movie sound and audio disc playback. It may be a truly unusual setup but that's what I have in mind.

Before I get the BR player I will experiment with the video from my OPPO DV980, which is already hooked up as a 2ch CD player. I know that DVD sound is not as good as the BR audio, but it will give me some idea of how this rare setup will work out.

All that said, any OPPO is a good buy compared to the high priced spread which doesn't taste a bit more like butter...

I wasn't going to eat it, I was going to watch and listen to it. The butter will be for the popcorn[:D]

Happy Thanksgiving!!

And a Happy Thanksgiving to you as well, Don.

Hard to imagine watching a movie without the sound. The images are so less important to me than the sound it's not even funny. While HT in general is not a major issue for me as there are so few films that do anything for me, I don't really have a special set up. But since I've been listening to stereo primarily with at least four channels (the first 25 years using a Hafler passive circuit) I am set up for 5.1 anyway. So, when I have a film like "Gods and Generals" with a great soundtrack, I certainly want those Union artillery shells to sail over my head to the rear as intended.

Anyway, to each his own. But, with that in mind, unless I am missing something..."and for customers who primarily use the optical/coaxial digital audio output, the standard BDP-83 is recommended.".

Why not save 300.00 and use an optical or coax to get your mixed signal? Or am I still missing something?

Dave

Dave and Don - I had to weigh in on this one - I have taken a lot of heat in the last 3 years from my twenty-ish neices and nephews, who would come to my house and see speakers everywhere, connected to my 23.1 surround system, with subs and sound for days, all connected to a standard def DVD player with a 12 ear old Toshiba 38 inch CRT. SO when I saw that BR had beat HDDVD, AND Oppo had their BR player out - I decided to bite the bullet and in one swoop I got the Oppo BR, a Panny 4000U and the 106" screen.

Then they come out with the SE model, WTH? I was a little peeved.

My understanding is, that in order to get the 5.1/7.1 HD audio iwht BR, you eother use HDMI or the analog (EG SACD) outputs of the BR player/inputs on your receiver or amp - coax won't deliver the same thing...or so I am told. That is how I am setting it up, and it sounds pretty good.

The Oppo is pretty spectacular (and since this is my first high def anything, I am easily impressed) - like going from stone wheels to a formula one, just nuts.

I think you would need to at least have the front three channels, as the center channel would be pretty important for dialogue and matrixed to the L/R just doesnt seem like ti woul work terribly well, or at least not as well.

That is my 2c, I would be happy to answer any other ?'s if I can...

Bruce

>...or the analog (EG SACD) outputs of the BR player/inputs on your receiver or amp - coax won't deliver the same thing...or so I am told.

SACD outputs? That would be a new one. I don't know what that means. If you take the digital via coax or optical, then the defining factor is your recievers DAC. Mine is fine, at least for my ears. Coax certainly WON'T deliever the same thing as analog, as the analog is a line level signal (though I still don't know that the SACD reference is), and coax is a digital signal...SACD analog is a multi-channel output that requires multiple analog outputs, one for each channel.

I think we are a bit confused.

In any event, I fully concur that watching a multi-channel film without at least a dialog channel is a chore, and I also agree that the OPPOS of all types are spectacular and more money spent buys...not much.

Dave

Kriton, assuming b "SACD outputs" you really mean the player's analog outputs, which then run to your receiver analog inputs....yes?

I run my Denon player in this manner for all CD, DVD, DVD-A and SACD chores and it works great.

Looking at one of the OPPO BD players for when I go HD next year, now that they have added the special edition player the equation is more complicated, but since the standard model lists at around six bills and the SE is around nine bills, I'm thinking the SE is probably not in my future.......

Kriton, assuming b "SACD outputs" you really mean the player's analog outputs, which then run to your receiver analog inputs....yes?

I run my Denon player in this manner for all CD, DVD, DVD-A and SACD chores and it works great.

Looking at one of the OPPO BD players for when I go HD next year, now that they have added the special edition player the equation is more complicated, but since the standard model lists at around six bills and the SE is around nine bills, I'm thinking the SE is probably not in my future.......

Point is that OPPO themselves suggest they are sonically identical if you go with "horses for courses" on the outputs. The SE is only for those who are really stuck on some specific analog components that do not have the input/output flexibility to handle the OPPO output as designed. Personally, I suspect that only a few overtrained ears could detect a difference anyway and those differences would not be matters of accuracy.

Luckily, I don't have those hangups or limitations, so I'll be able to have it all...HT and audio, without the extra 300.

Dave

Anyway, to each his own. But, with that in mind, unless I am missing something..."and for customers who primarily use the optical/coaxial digital audio output, the standard BDP-83 is recommended.".

Why not save 300.00 and use an optical or coax to get your mixed signal? Or am I still missing something?

I can't use optical or coax because I currently don't use an outboard DAC so I thought that instead of spending more money on one of those boxes, and since I will be getting a Blue Ray player anyway, why not buy this unit with sota DACs and eliminate an extra box. Then I can just plug line level 2ch audio into my existing system. Just like any other input. Simple. Cheaper.

As for surround sound, it confuses me. I remember going to Saving Private Ryan at the cinema and hearing the bullets flying overhead and ricocheting all around me. It sounded kinda like I was in the middle of a war. The thing is, I was looking at the action on the screen in front of me and this stuff was going on around me, and I found it to be very distracting. The very best video and audio that I experienced in a home theater system was an LCR audio setup with an overhead projector. I may need to add a center channel later, but subs would be unnecessary at any point.

I can't use optical or coax because I currently don't use an outboard DAC so I thought that instead of spending more money on one of those boxes, and since I will be getting a Blue Ray player anyway, why not buy this unit with sota DACs and eliminate an extra box. Then I can just plug line level 2ch audio into my existing system. Just like any other input. Simple. Cheaper.

As for surround sound, it confuses me. I remember going to Saving Private Ryan at the cinema and hearing the bullets flying overhead and ricocheting all around me. It sounded kinda like I was in the middle of a war. The thing is, I was looking at the action on the screen in front of me and this stuff was going on around me, and I found it to be very distracting. The very best video and audio that I experienced in a home theater system was an LCR audio setup with an overhead projector. I may need to add a center channel later, but subs would be unnecessary at any point.

Gotcha on all points, Don. Even then I'd want to A/B the existing analogs against the 300 upgrade. I rather doubt I'd hear any difference in accuracy, but I know many who might.

Actually, I am fully understanding of your issue with surround, though I am the opposite. The flat, 2D picture doesn't do much for me regardless of how big or hi res it is. I am audio oriented and came up listening to intricate surround recordings like Firesign, which with a Hafler circuit winds up all over the room. For me, it's the quality, depth, and direction from the sound field that determines whether I can suspend reality and find any alternate reality in the flicker picture.

However, I know a lot of people who get really lost in a sound field and can't seem to concentrate on the pictures.

OTOH, I've never known anyone who did not prefer a dialog channel as the dialog really gets lost in plain stereo.

Dave

Yes, that is exactly what I meant - and to dispell any rumors, not all DVD players or receivers/preamps have the analog inputs/outputs. Really the only time I have seen them specifically was for SACD, but I run my Oppo analog 8.1 RCAs out to the preamp.

B