External amp question

wuzzzer

One thing I just thought of was at first I was happy with the difference I got when adding the XPA-5. Over time, be it buyers remorse or whatever I've started to doubt the difference. Maybe I've just gotten used to the sound I have now and don't appreciate it anymore.

Maybe I'm taking my XPA-5 forgranted! [:$]

I think we do get used to what we listen to. A few weeks ago when I hooked up my Bose 401s to show them to the person buying them from me I couldn't believe how pathetic they sounded. I used to use them as my main speakers a long, long time ago and thought they were super speakers. They have incredibly boomy bass, very weak midrange and even weaker treble.

I'm wondering if I go with the UPA-2, will it make a noticeable difference over my receiver? Will I have to step up to something from the XPA series to make the upgrade worthwhile? Then I begin to wonder if my Marantz makes a worthy pre-amp. Why can't I be happy with what I have? [:S]

• Moderators

A few weeks ago when I hooked up my Bose 401s to show them to the person buying them from me I couldn't believe how pathetic they sounded. I

That's what was inside wuzzer's head but what came out of his mouth was, "These 401's are going to sound sweet in your home!" as he collected the cash. [:D]

If I end up getting a pre-amp the Marantz will definitely be up for sale. If I just get an amp I'll have to keep the Marantz as a pre-amp. I have to wait until towards the end of the month to see what my bonuses will be before I can make a purchase though. Good thing the Emotiva sale goes through December 31st!

You know you get 30 days in home trial so just get it and see for your self , if you do not like it your only out the shipping back , but I bet you will keep it Emotiva amps are very clean and neutral sounding and in my experience out board amp have always sounded better then AVR`s even if there the same watts

You know you get 30 days in home trial so just get it and see for your self , if you do not like it your only out the shipping back , but I bet you will keep it Emotiva amps are very clean and neutral sounding and in my experience out board amp have always sounded better then AVR`s even if there the same watts

Don't forget you've got to pay the shipping back on that beast. The cost for shipping mine back if I had returned my XPA-5 would have been around $70-80 dollars, I can't remember the exact amount. The thing weighs 75 lbs so not cheap to ship back. Just a reminder that the free 30 home trial isn't truely free.

Yes, I'm glad they have the 30 day trial period. I guess as of right now I'm just waiting to see exactly which amp I'm going to get and also if I'm able to get a pre-amp along with it. The UPA-2 for $249 + $25 shipping looks like an incredible bargain. Then again, the XPA-2 would be quite nice!