Help buying a new home stereo system

depstein

Are you looking for Home Theater or two channel for music? A lot of different options out there depending on your wants. For Home theater I like my Yamaha 7.1 channel For two channel I bought a 2 channel Sherwood receiver from Radio Shack for $50.00 last christmas. They both sound great but the Yamaha has a whole lot of options the sherwood does not. These are not necessary for a 2 channel system. For speakers you can buy used or new and Klipsch has tons of different options. AVSforum is a good source of info but you'll be reading for a long time. This is also a great place for info.

Take a lot of what you will see on the forums with a grain of salt as there are people who wouldn't have a system less than 10,000 bucks and there are people who think anything over 2,000 is a complete ripoff. You also will need to decide if you will have a sub or not. With the right speakers you can live without it, but they do add something to the HT experience. Have fun.

My suggestion for most newbies(don't take that as an offense) get used and spend very little money to start. Then as you develop your taste expand on it with upgraded equipment. You can get a decent receiver for $100.00 and a set of Klipsch Fortes or Heresys or similar for $250-$450.00 depending on condition and model. Then after you have set a specific goal you can sell your used equipment for what you have spent on it if you have not overpaid.

Have fun. Welcome to the forum.

The biggest question is the budget- What can you spend? Dont do like me and go replacing everything after 1-2 months when it is not what you want. Buy the best stuff that you can with your means. Having to upgrade is no fun. Check out the Garage- that is where deals happen.

These are great comments! Thanks. And no offense taken on being a newbie, which I readily admit to! I am looking for 2-channel for music. I am surprised you spent just 50 bucks on a receiver. I will look at the forums, keeping in mind everyone has their own axe to grind. I am willing to spend 1500-2000, which, for me, is a substantial amount of money. I do enjoy listening to my music, however, so it will be money well spent. Thanks again, and if you have any other thoughts, don't hold back, especially on sources of info either in the Forum or other sources. David

• Moderators

Forums Last Post Threads Posts
Announcements pertaining to the forum and other Klipsch news will be posted here.
Re: Klipsch as an...
Tue, Dec 1 2009 11:15 PM
93 672
Have a question about ordering Heritage products direct from Klipsch? Ask here!
Re: Is this the...
by Coytee
Tue, Dec 1 2009 9:55 PM
19 243
Have audio-related equipment to sell? Post here!
Individual sellers only -- no dealers, please!
Re: F/S KP 250's
Wed, Dec 2 2009 12:42 AM
5,490 38,768
Learn about and view pictures of this annual Klipsch event.
Re: June Dates
Wed, Nov 25 2009 8:47 AM
364 8,312
The Garage Sale section on the main forum page.

depstein,

I'm a speaker guy. 80% or higher will be spent on speakers if I had your wallet.

Now, I am going straight to the point, name dropping and all.

Get Klipsch RF-5s in dark cherry, Sonic Impact T-amp, Apple Airport Express.

500x500.aspx

31WSKF4YJ6L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

311bVtqaPPL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

The justification is this: You have a computer (Source) and a wireless link from your source to your stereo is very convienent, has high sound quality (can feed to a Digital Reciver or any digital (optical in) equiped device) and integrates with one of the better Music Playing programs out there..

The T-Amp has been praised by the stalwarts of Hi-Fi and quite the bargan, it's an modestly powered integrated amp that will certainly power the RF-5 to loud levels.

Finally the RF-5 is simply a classic in the making. Read the reviews, I think it sounds great! and It looks great! Super subjective, but you must give it a shot.

-Bill

Just so you know...... Apple or PC won't make a difference.

You use iTunes (which you can get free for Windows as well) to play the music and it has an option for playing wireless through the Airpot.

It really is quite awesome, I use it and actually have 2 airports and so I can play through two different stereos or both at the same time even. The airport connects digitaly via optical/toslink cable and therefore delivers a perfect unaltered signal to your amp/receiever.

David,

I know! Even David Fremer and some other peeps at Stereophile rave about the Airport Express as an Audio Component. Even if you don't get a T-amp and you get something like a stereo reciever from best buy.. because my only arguments againts what I previously stated is More than one source, remote and radio.

Example Reciever

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=200028

RX797main.gif

I have both. Mac and PC. I prefer the Mac.

-Bill

aside from being a huge Klipsch fan I am a Apple Fan, Corvette Fan, Land Rover Fan, (VW aircooled and MKI Rabbit), Red Sox Fan, and Patriots Fan

Cool. I have not seen that on iTunes, but I will. Is it the new "sharing" feature that came with a recent iTunes upgrade? I have a general question for you or anyone else using this airport set up:

I want to play CDs, listen to radio, maybe one day add a turntable (...one day...), and I also have a bunch of downloaded music on my computer.

What about having a traditional stereo setup (speakers, tuner, CD player) and also having the airport to "receive" the music that resides on my computer hardrive?

Thanks for your thoughts on this. David

Bottom line upfront, I change my recommendataion to most affordable A/V Reciever. It will offer more flexiblity in the future, should you decide to upgrade.

M_rxv463.jpg

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=567576&CTID=5000300

WHY?

At risk of making this more complicated BUT for the benifit of fidelity and technology, even though you stated your desire just to have stereo, most basic of the surround sound recievers offer more that what the "stereo" receivers offer.

Not just in the way of more surround sound channels.. It that they offer Digital inputs, for CD players, Apple Airport Express, etc, that offer better sound quality that going the analog or non -digital route (two RCA cables for left and right, opposed to one fiber optic or coaxial cable)

Most stereo recievers don't have a subwoofer output and you may want that in the future..

Some even optimize the speakers for the room that they play in..

Since I am a big fan of Best Buy, go there with your favorite CDs and listen to some speakers hooked up to the reciever of your choosing. I highly recommend you go EARLY in the morning, on a week day if you can. They normally have all the popular models in stock and on display. Now if you don't see the RF-5 or 7 then find a Set of towers, from Klipsch, that you can listen to so you can get a Idea what you in for.

The airport express uses "Airtunes" and it a feature built in to iTunes only when you install an Airport Express in your home, which is also sold at Best Buy.

Now if you detest Besy Buy, do a dealer search on this site for those who carry Klipsch speakers. Who knows you may find a dealer who carries the coveted Heresy and you might walk away with a pair of those..

488.aspxhttp://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/heresy-iii-overview/

Keep us posted..

-Bill