Suggestions for 5.1 units?

Coytee

Only interested in 5.1 units.... actually.... I'm equally interested in 5.0 units since I doubt I'll ever have a sub!

Would I simply need a processor? I know I want the HDMI outputs. Since I'll be biamping and running things through my Dx38, I can get by if the unit doesn't have amps at all. Even better if it has XLR outputs!

While I'm at it.... what are some suggestions for projectors that will work fine with say.... a 14' distance to the screen. What size screen you ask? I don't know yet. My 50" tv upstairs has a nice size to it. The distance downstairs will be similar, maybe in the 12' range. How big do you go when you are 12/14 feet away?

This will have a LaScala behind it (if it drapes low enough). If it only comes down to the top of the LaScala, that's ok too!! I think a LaScala is about 3' tall and my ceilings are going to be about 8 1/2'. Ohh... I forgot.... the screen might be in the section where we do the tray ceiling and if so, then would be perhaps 7 1/2 to 8' high. I guess I need to measure that out. Wife wants the screen to roll up and be hidden in the ceiling which means it would have to go into the box section of the tray.

So, looking for 2 suggestions:

1. What processor to use with HDMI, XLR and internal amps are optional

2. What projector to use

3. What drop down, acoustically transparent screen to use?

See, like I said, looking for 2 suggestions! [:o]

Note, my equipment is in my profile.

If you only hook up 5 to a 7.1 AVR, you will get 5.0 when setup right so as far as the pre/pro goes, take your pick, you didn't indicate a price range. As a long time user, I do recommend Yamaha but others are just as good (though I don't know why anyone would want to listen to any other AVR!) I am using an external 2 ch amp to drive the main speakers just to take the load off the internal power supply on the AVR and though the AVR was working just fine solo, the sound cleaned up and is very sharp and clear with the mains outboard. I don't use XLR inputs but I do use HDMI from our blue ray player (PS3) and then DVI to the projector though there is little difference between the DVI and Component visable on the screen. Component, though old fashioned, takes to longer runs better than digital. Our run is right at 30' from the AVR to the projector and the DVI cable is short enough to do the job without the need of a signal amplifier. Our old AVR used Component and I had a PC hooked up also so at the projector I have DVI, Component and SVGA. They all look great.

My LCD projector is a few years old now and is a 720 unit. It projects onto a 10' (119") screen. It is located about 12' back from the screen and to my eyes looks great. There is a little screen door effect in the front row at about 8' back but nothing to get upset over. My main viewing seats are under the projector at 12' and the immage is stunning though as we are sitting under the PJ, there is a little fan noise in the very quiet passages of the movie. The bulb life is rated for 2000 hours and if we have the money available when it burns out, we will likely replace the projector with a 1024 unit but that should be 3 or 4 years based on our current and past usage.

Our screen is a fixed, non transparent item so I can't help you much there. If you do get a roll up, make sure the ceiling support beams are running parralell to the screen, not cross wise or there will be issues in your installation.

The screen comes to the top of my Fort'e 1s without bases or as it is now setup, the top of my Quartets on the factory bases. The speakers are under each side of the screen and are in front of the screen as the screen is flat on the wall and the speakers are about 8" from the wall.

Any particular reason you don't want a sub?

It's not that I don't want one.... but with two Jubilees and three LaScalas stuffed into a room approximately 15x24 and the size of the sub that I might need to 'keep up' with the Jubilees.... well... I really don't have any easy place to put it. This is me talking, I'd be scared to think what my wife would think with the addition of the KP684 or something like that [:o] (I think that's the right number?)

Besides, with the raw output of the Jubilees, I'm pretty happy. I've got to think that 2 Jubilees across the front, JubeScala center and two LaScalas for rears would keep the average dude happy.

Regardless of their output, your mains can't reproduce the .1 LFE track and to me, that track makes the whole HT experience worthwhile. Depending on how handy you are and how tolerant a wife you have, an IB would be perfect for your application. Extremely accurate and uncolored bass that takes up zero floorspace and will keep up with your Jubes. I've owned subs from Advent, Klipsch and SVS. I'll never go back to a "box" sub.

Ok, for the sake of discussion (since I don't really think it will happen (if I'm to be honest with myself).... the layout of floor doesn't let me hide them anywhere, box style or IB)

Anyways.... how would one go about figuring out what ingredients needed to handle such hornage?

For a pre/pro, check out the Onkyo Pro 886 - it has balanced outputs, and is quite the bargain. You can also find them refurbished (or at least used to) at accessories4less for under a grand.

If you get a PJ that supports 1080p, you'll want to use HDMI as the video feed to it - it's the only way to get 1080p source material to it without it being scaled down to 1080i and then back to 1080p in the PJ.

What rooms or spaces are adjacent/over/under your HT room?

Of the four walls:

1st wall has the entry foyer on part of it and a new room addition on the other half.

2nd wall is exterior wall to side of house.

3rd wall is also exterior wall to back of house and under grade.

4th wall is actually the 'under the stairs' space and is where I'm carving out a hole in the wall to set two of my LaScalas so they'll be out of the room itself. This space is also where all of my electronics will be located.

Perhaps should have noted that the wall with the stairwell on the other side... has its other wall and that second wall is the partition to the garage.

I'm having trouble picturing this.............sorry. Does this mean that one wall is adjacent to the garage? What wall will the screen be on?

I'm having trouble picturing this.............sorry. Does this mean that one wall is adjacent to the garage? What wall will the screen be on?

I understand and apologize. I'm going to show off my MS-Paint skills and give you a basic idea of floorplan.

The room with the blue has: On the left two Jubilees in corners, one JubeScala in center. On the right is the stairway with the arrow showing the dirction of coming down. The space under the stairs, where people usually have something like a water heater (as did I until I moved it) now has cubbyholes cut and my two LaScalas will slide inside there to be totally hidden from the room. The electronics will go above the left (as standing in room, facing them) LaScala. On the other side of this closet, is the wall to the garage with diagonal lines drawn in it.

So, as you come down the stairs, go into this rooom, the far left wall (Jubilee) is an exterior wall. The back wall (right Jubilee side, as facing Jubilees) is also an exterior wall which is also under grade, I live on a hill. The left side (as facing the Jubilees) has a new room adjacent to it and the garage is on the opposite side of the Jubilees.

Now... also for the record... my wife detests ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL of these "big black ugly speakers" I'm doing ok that she's not divorced me yet. What I WOULD like to do if I can get it past her rolling eyes, would be to get some of the huge cinema subs (two of them?) and place them in between the Jubilees and the JubeScala. There is probably room there however, this will block the view to her window and her pretty rock/flower garden so I already know that will be a battle.

Ultimatly, when you walk in this room, the immediate wall on the left is out of the question. The far left wall is out of the question. The back wall is out of the question. The only possible contender would be the wall on the right with the LaSCalas in it, under the stairway.

Hope the diagram helps.

post-15072-1381951376899_thumb.jpg

It helps a lot. That room is not a candidate for an IB. You DON'T want the sub on the back wall. Another consideration might be a DTS-20. they can be laid down or stood in a corner, depending on how much room you might have. I guess the best way to describe their shape would be something along the lines of a pack of saltine crackers. Long, with a fairly square end shape. You might even get creative and build some "end table" or "coffee table" type subs.