Very bad purchase on KG's

Montigue231

Buying so many speakers finally caught up to me this time. I bought a pair of KG 5.5's last night without checking them out i took the sellers word they are in good condtion..They looked great with nice glossy black satin finish. I thought there mint so i purchased without testing.. After taking them home and hooking up I quickly realized BOTH tratrix tweets are BLOWN..GONE,, KAPOOT...also the dust cap was pushed in enough to damage the voice coil one one of the woofers...To top it off..BOTH back panels need to be reglued,,,they rattle bad...This was really dumb and stupid on my part it was late and i did not go threw and check them out at all...

All being said..Im going to need some parts. Since the cabinets and grills are in such great shape ill replace the three drivers and reglue myself...Im putting the word out im looking for two horns and one 10' woofer for the KG 5.5....thanks for any help or suggestions and inputs

Monty

Well if you got a good price then it'll all work out.

The tweeter diaphrams are avaialble from Klipsch parts for about $30 or Bob Crties may have them. The horns, not too sure but ask Klipsch and see what they say.

I bought a pair of KG 5.5s for my son in the Navy. The backs were also loose so the reglue had to be done. We rebuilt the tweeters with the Ti units from Bob at the bargan price of $50 a pair. The old units were fine but the Ti units sound SOOOOOO much better! They are VERY easy to do yourself and I would replace them EVEN if your tweets were not damaged.

You could have the woofer rebuilt for not too much money. We paid $205 for the pair with a KV3 center. The wood on one of the cabs had a plant water stain on the laq Oak, kind of a bummer but you get what you gets.

EDIT;

Try OC speaker repair for the woofer recone. They are a quality shop. I have been there in person and they are great people. Most 10 inch woofer recones seem to be running about $65 + shipping.

http://www.speakerrepair.com/services.html

talked to Bob C and it looks like the entire upgraid w new build xovers n tweets will be $200 + $150 i spent on these... i suppose im not too much into them afterall.

Cal thanks for the info appreciate it..I think ill look for a used woofer on ebay. I used to see them selling for around 40 to 50 bucks.. that will put me at $400 with the upgrades and woofer replacement...