La Scala's On the Blocks

seagull

Hi Guys,

Took me a while to get my ex dem mk2 la Scalas up and running,

Put them on 4" wooden blocks to get some sunlight on the new wooden floor

But it was worth the wait, God knows what those people are on about this transparency lark.

As far as I can hear, when it gets transparent it gets boring and uninvolving.(Avantgarde)

So lets hear it for the lovely dynamics and the being there involvement.

Especially with a bit of vinyl and you can see how it still wipes out cd.

So I'm definitely happy with the best sound I've ever had,

But any thoughts on how to tighten up the imaging, would be great

or is it just that images are going to be bigger than usual.

Try adjusting your toe-in. For me, the La Scala imaging is fairly realistic. A solo performer is about the correct width (no six-foot-wide solo singer, for example), while a whole band is as wide as it should be on stage. This may be bigger than you're accustomed to.

However, some recordings will present a piano as stretching from one speaker to the other, while good recordings will present it as piano-sized, meaning still pretty big, but just spanning something like a third to a half of the distance from left speaker to right speaker.

But any thoughts on how to tighten up the imaging, would be great
or is it just that images are going to be bigger than usual.

Hi Seagull,

It has taken me some time to get my La Scala's sounding right. They are so big that you not only have to aim the fronts of the speakers, you have to adjust the backs also.

I have found the Toe-in to be important. Also, distance from my ears made a big difference. I sit on the right side of the room, (a sofa) and I always had the speakers a equal distance from the back wall. But the imaging was just not quite right. I fooled with the toe-in many times and had it almost right, but not quite. Well, one day I decided to make the speakers a equal distance from my ears. So the left speaker was 13 feet from my seating position and the right speaker was 11 feet. This is where the problem was. So I moved the left speaker forward and the right speaker backwards, until the were both equal distance from my sitting position, about 12 feet, and the imaging just came together.

It might take some time, but it is worth it. Good to hear you've got them up and running and are now enjoying them.

Dennie

Hi Dennie,

Yeah I sort of got there I found that point the Toe in directly at the listener

and sitting same distance as speakers are apart was the answer.

Very Happy Bunny, keep wanting to have a listen to more stuff.

But have a grumpy lady next door who does not appreciate my musical tastes.

Who by the way include Joni Mitchell and Martha Wainright.,must be the volume.

Tref