Which amp is best for RF 82

KIRAN

Hi everyone !

feels good to own the RF82 pairs i bought a month ago. did visit a lot of showrooms both in Toronto and Dubai...finally ended up buying the RF82's.

its being run by an ONKYO TX-SR604 right now. plan to eventually get hold of the Cen, Sub & Surr speakers in a month or two.

some songs need to be heard with higher volume....however, when i play those, i notice that my amp volume has to run almost 50% to give me that effect. at such times it makes me wonder whether i have chosen the right amp to run my rf82's. i have no doubt that i have chosen one of the best speakers in the industry. its the amp which is bothering me.

yday went and looked at marantz / denon stereo amps.....understood that the onkyo is for home theatre experience and the stereo amp for pure stereo music, i might end up buying a 50w marantz along with the onkyo i have and switch when reqd. will this wattage ( 50 w ) do for the rf82's ?

confused at this time !! please enlighten !!!

ciao...

Kiran

Thank you Russ for a quick reply.

I am told that the amp shouldnt be rated higher than the rms of the speakers ie....should not be rated more than 150 rms which the 82's are.

wouldnt it damage the speakers ? forgot to mention...my guest room size is 24ft x 21ft.

have a nice day.

Kiran

should not be rated more than 150 rms which the 82's are. wouldnt it damage the speakers ? forgot to mention...my guest room size is 24ft x 21ft. have a nice day. Kiran

Welcome to the forum.

The RF-82's are very high efficient speakers. With that said you will probably never pump more than 50 watts into those drivers continuously and even at peak levels not surpass 100 watts often. Keep in mind if you are planning on adding an outboard amp, your Onkyo 604 does not have preouts.

Bill

Keep in mind that power is subjective and on this forum, it's been stated that

rb5's need a ton of power to bring them alive, but I'm running a set with a Sansui GF550 and at 1/4 volume they are rocking. It comes down to what your hot botton is and not what you're told sounds good.