My receiver stopped working...

Jakeg123

So I got home from school and I was going to go enjoy some good music. Just my luck, my receiver doesn't turn on at all. I checked all of my cords, I tried undoing all of my connections, I tried different plugs, it is just dead. I knew it had some problems, but I wasn't expecting it to just completely die on me. Well, long story short, I need a new receiver. I am looking for something cheap that also has pre-outs for if I want to connect an external amp in the future. I was looking at either the Yamaha RX-V665 or the Yamaha RX-V663. I have heard several things about Yamaha skimping on the amp in the RX-V665 and that the one in the older RX-V663 was much better. Cnet even said that the RX-V665 doesn't sound quite as good as last years model. Is this true? What receiver would you recommend?

Thanks, Jake

just a quick thing to check ..did you try it on another plug in the house to make sure a breaker or GCFI plug hasn't been tripped?

Yes, I tried it. I brought it upstairs just to make sure. Also, other things do work on the plug that it was plugged into, so I know it is the receiver...thanks for the advice though! Any ideas on what receiver I should get?

Well, I can't speak for the 665 but I love my 663. I am also running an outboard amp for my mains if that makes any difference in your decision. I just like taking that load off the power supply of the 663, it frees up more power for the other 5 speakers.

Thanks for the input!

I am siding toward the RX-V663. Does anyone else have any other opinions? Do you think a different receiver would be better? I am open to any ideas! I am planning on purchasing tonight.