2 Questions Brand New to Home Theater

bungles

Ok I don't know that much about pairing things together but I just picked up some sexy looking speakers to get my house rockin.

First of all I'm wanting to do a 5.1 setup so here are the speakers I got!

Klipsch RF-3 Towers x 2

RC-3 Center

RS-3 Surround Speakers x2

1.) My first question is that I do own a Klipsch Sub-12 and I'm wondering if that would pair ok with these speakers?

2.) Also since I haven't built a nice 5.1 system before (I'm too embarrased to say what I'm currently using heh) what would be a good receiver to use for this. It doesn't have to be brand new and is it possible to get something that will power these for under 300-400?

Thank you so much for the help

• Moderators

Congratulations on the new setup. The Sub12 should work well with them and provide adequate bass output. You can easily get a used receiver 5.1 or even a 7.1 for under $400. Just look around, check out craigslist. If possible, get one that has pre-outs in case you ever want to add an external amplifier.

Thanks I'm super excited!

this is the only receiver right now thats on Craigslist. It's a Denon AVR-1705 6.1. They want $100 for it but I don't know if its worth getting or if I should keep hunting. Any help would be very much appreciated. I'll also throw up some picks once I get my room setup :)

• Moderators

Oh don't get me wrong I have a ton more questions but I gotta learn to walk before I can run

[Y] Have fun, it's all worth it in the end, and welcome to the forum.

Oregon, cool looking part of the country.

If you are going Blu-Ray, you will not get HD audio(True-HD, DTS Mstr HD) through coax or optic. You will need to use the analog EXT IN if you dont get a receiver with HDMI capabilities, in which you would need to make sure your player has 7.1 audio out jacks.

• Moderators

What does it feel like to deal with a Mississippian?

About the same as anyone else, they just talk a little different and slower, we are really from Louisiana where in someplace's the language can really get a little different, if you go South and South West of New Orleans.

Were you in New Orleans during the great flood? BTW, NO people are pretty friendly and wild!

About the same as anyone else, they just talk a little different and slower, we are really from Louisiana where in someplace's the language can really get a little different, if you go South and South West of New Orleans.

• Moderators

We were living here at that time, even though it does not ever flood here we left and went to North Louisiana. Which worked out well considering we had sustained winds here of 135 mph, we came back a couple days later but did not have electricity for over 2 weeks. We were very lucky !

" BTW, NO people are pretty friendly and wild! "

Yes they are, at least the ones without guns + drug habits, just like any big city .

If you are going Blu-Ray, you will not get HD audio(True-HD, DTS Mstr HD) through coax or optic. You will need to use the analog EXT IN if you dont get a receiver with HDMI capabilities, in which you would need to make sure your player has 7.1 audio out jacks.

I wasn't aware of that concerning the HD audio. I did end up picking up that Onkyo TX-SR-800 (got it for $200. that a good buy?) It is 7.1 but it does not have an hdmi in. How much better is this HD audio and do you have any recomendations on an analog EXT? I did get my RF-3's,RC-3, and RS-3's hooked up last night and I don't think the receiver is dialled in correctly because the sound was not nearly as accurate as I was expecting. I have a pair of KG-4's and a Marantz 2275 and the clarity those speakers give out in the mids and highs is mind blowing but these Referance speakers didn't have nearly the accuracy. Any ideas? Dealing with a Mississippian? hehe I have to say everyone on this forum so far are very cool and very helpful. Much appreciated!

What Blu-ray player do you have? Does it have the HD decoders built in? Does it have multi-channel outputs? Check the back of player and see if it has individual jacks for each speaker (FL,FR,C,SL,SR, and SUB). If it does than you would need to connect 6 separate cables (RCA) from the Blu-ray to the receiver Multi channel inputs labeled FL,FR,C,SL,SR,and SUB. This is differnt from the Pre-out connections on the receiver. I believe this is how you would need to connect everything IF your player has built in decoders. I have not had to connect like this since I am utilizing HDMI, maybe some other members use the Multi-channel inputs and can guide you further.

I have not heard the Onkyo's, I am a Denon guy when it comes to receivers but many here like the Onkyo products.

ok here is another question. I know the receiver i bought is mid grade. Onyko TX-SR800. I am considering maybe also getting an amp to power the RF-3's and the RC-3. I have an opportunity to pickup 2 Carver mono 500w amps or get the Emotiva XPA-3 receiver. Any thoughts on which is a better route. Would either of these require a pre-amp?