Looking to update...need some advice

hart11b

I'm starting to get the bug...need some advice/questions answered.

1. I'm currently running a Klipsch Quintet III with a 10" Klipsch sub. I've also got a new Onkyo 807 which I am very happy with.

2. I found a demo RC-64 (Cherry) at a local audio store. They said they would sell it to me at cost--$649. Looks great/sounds awesome, good deal or not?

3. I would like to get a set of mains, the RF-63 would be a good fit for me I think (80% Movie/TV, 20% Music). Is it possible to get these in Cherry since they are discontinued? I want a matching front set.

4. Do I need/should I run an amp for this combo if I got it? If so, 2 or 3 or 5 channel? What kind?

5. Running a 2nd sub would probably sound nice. The same place has a RT-12D demo for $1199 and an RT-10D for $899 (maybe could get $100 cheaper). Good deals, is there something else I should buy.

6. If I get the 63/64 set, what do I do with my Quinitet system? Height channel or rear surround? The 807 is very capable and I would like to take advatage of its capes.

7. You guys have an awesome forum, I have listened to Klipsch since I was 14 and hae loved all of my speakers for almost 20 years now.

Thanks in advance.

• Moderators

Welcome to the forums. Going from the Qintets to the RF-63's will blow your mind. :)

I found a demo RC-64 (Cherry) at a local audio store. They said they would sell it to me at cost--$649. Looks great/sounds awesome, good deal or not?

Phenomenal speaker. I paid $571.38 for my Cherry RC-64 in Jan of 2009 when Klipsch marked the cherry's down since they were being discontinued.

Do I need/should I run an amp for this combo if I got it? If so, 2 or 3 or 5 channel? What kind?

Lots of options there. My Yamaha receiver drives my system very well. I believe adding an amp would increase the dynamics, add even tighter bass response and more separation for music. If you have the money, go for it. I'll eventually pick up an Emotiva XPA-3 (200 watt x 3) to power my front three speakers and leave the Yamaha to power the surrounds.

Running a 2nd sub would probably sound nice. The same place has a RT-12D demo for $1199 and an RT-10D for $899 (maybe could get $100 cheaper). Good deals, is there something else I should buy.

Again, lots of options there. For $1200, you can get a very nice sub from just about any manufacturer (Epik, SVS etc)

If I get the 63/64 set, what do I do with my Quinitet system? Height channel or rear surround? The 807 is very capable and I would like to take advatage of its capes.

Sell them or give them away. I personally don't mess with the "presence" speakers. I tend to believe it is another marketing strategy for manufacturers.

Welcome to the forum.

The RC-64 is a great speaker. So great that many here on the forum would use them as the front three if there was a way to rotate the horn 90 degrees. I think $649(35% off msrp) for the RC-64 is a good price.

As far as the cherry RF-63's go, 6ave.com still carries them but the website says "Availability: Ships Out in 3-4 Weeks. Vanns and OneCall both state no longer available.

I think your Onkyo 807 is capable of running your system. Now if you really like to listen at high spl's, make sure you set your crossovers no lower than 80hz to let the sub handle the mid bass on down.

Adding an amp will definitely improve the quality of your system all across the board. Louder, deeper, and crisper, with more seperation and also will take the strain off of the amps in the receiver. I run a 3 channel B&K amp(200w/ch) for my RF-63's and RC-64. To me, there was a night and day improvement in my system with the amp than running my Onkyo 705 alone. Emotiva, Rotel, NAD, Parasound, Anthem, are just a small list of other good amp companies that offer 2,3,5,7 channel amps.

Either of the subs you mentioned are good choices at good prices, however you can get more bang for the buck if you purchase from one of the online sub companies like HSU,SVS,etc.

Move the QIII's to the bedroom and look for a good deal on the RS-42's,52's, or 62's.

Bill

Thanks for the advice. I may try to ask them to discount the 64 a bit more, but where is the best place to buy the RF-63s (Local audio store or can I find a better deal somewhere else)? It doesn't look like I can get a better deal somewhere online unless you guys know something that I don't.

Also, how much for the RS-42s?