McIntosh C2200 preamp report

MacKlipsch

The issue for me is not who owns the company, what country they are from, but rather how good is the product and how well do they stand behind it and provide customer service....This preamp sounded outstanding in my opinion..my frustration is with the bozos that I have dealt with thus far that represent the company and the crap tubes that they have put in them....they can keep the chinese tubes and send me a coffee mug or something....going to replace them anyway

MH....what Mullards 12AX7's do you use in your Cary?...any recommendations on the 12AT7's?

This message has been edited by MacKlipsch on 03-13-2002 at 09:24 PM

Mike,

I saw those on e-bay....while I don't necessarily disagree wuth the sentiment, there are better deals out there on these amps than these pair....got mine for $900 from Audio Classics awhile back...small tubes were JJ's and TF....replaced the outputs with Svetlana KT-88's....I also have a MC275 reissue that is the equal to 2 of these in my opinion in spite of the pc board vs point to point wiring debate....

John, I knew Clarion purchased Mac, but I didn't realize it was that long ago. I recently visited the only store in the Omaha-Lincoln area that carries Mcintosh and they only had two pieces out for display so I'm assuming they have discontinued carrying the product, which kind of struck me as weird considering the market and the fact there the only dealer. Well, my search will continue on. Looked at a couple preamps from Marsh, anyone have any insight on there products? Thanks........

I'm not standing up for McIntosh. I'm just passing on a bit of information about my recent experience.

Ron from Mac called me a couple times to answer some questions that I had about the amp., that the dealer couldn't answer. Then he also had Chuck Hinton (from Tech Support) call me to answer some others.

The dealer was telling me about his training at the factory. I guess in order to become a dealer you have to actually help build some of the units. He was complaining about how they hand wind the coils, because they say no machine can do it as good.

Maybe I was fed a bunch of bull, maybe not? You know how salesman can be.

I just asked a lot of questions, because it was hard for me to buy a $4500.00 amp when the others I was concidering were about a grand less. I did end up only paying $3600.00 for it. Only??

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

This message has been edited by Q-Man on 03-14-2002 at 07:27 PM

The newest piece of MAC gear I have ver owned was an MR78 tuner!!!

**** -can all of the tubes that came with the 2200.

I suggest Mullard box-plate CV4004 for the 12 AX7--they are still available NOS as they were made into the 80's and are VERY stout and have a GLORIOUS midrange (and that's where the music is!).

12AT7? I suggest the same Mullard military variant--the CV4024, also available NOS from various sources.

There are also Sylvania 6021 (a gold-pin rugged variant) out there NOS and they're pretty awesome too.

All of these are gonna set you back $25-$35 per tube, but they'll probably last YEARS in your application.

I'm sure MAC will make everything right for you. I concur that you should take your complaints up the ladder. 30 days is WAAAAAY too long considering your preamp crapped out in a hour!!

I love my MAC gear, but the newest piece is my C-22!!!

But I love the new stuff--their preamps still have phono stages--- just like EVERY preamp should!!!

Have you heard the 2002 tube power amp? How is it?