Klipsch ARC + Audyssey

Thaddeus Smith

I browsed through a couple of threads that touched on this, but I can't find anything definitive (or properly substantiated), on whether it's appropriate to run both vs. one or the other. Logic (to me) dictates that I should run the ARC first to flatten the sub response to the room's dynamics and then run audyssey to properly blend in with and calibrate the rest of the system. If this logic is flawed, please explain to me why ..

Can't speak for Audyssey (usless information alert!) but I ran into the same issue when I upgraded my D2 with ARC (Anthem Room Correction). I had been using a BFD as a parametric EQ on my sub to help tame peaks in my living room. My best results were obtained by leaving the BFD in the loop when running the room correction software. My theory is that the room correction software doesn't have to work as hard on the bottom end if some of the issues are already corrected in the signal source. You've heard the results, did it sound OK to you?

oh your system sound great, no doubt. if i run audyssey before the sub's ARC, though, won't it it EQ and calibrate the speakers on an improper curver (which would ideally be fixed once i run the ARC). The whole thing feels like a chicken/egg scenario with an endless loop of each system nullifying the other. yet it doesnt seem logical that only relying on one or the other will suffice either.

From what I understand, bass uses up more processing power than mid and treble. Systems like Audyssey and ARC excell with reflective issues of the upper octaves. If you use a lot of processing with your bass, there's less to work with on the top end. You can always try it both ways and see which one you like the best.

My ARC has different cut off limits, which are user selectable, for top end processing. You can stop processing at 10K, 12K, 15K or whatever you choose. I re-ran ARC 10 or 12 times with different cut off points, listening to music each time I changed the setting. You may need to set aside an afternoon and play with it until you get the results you're after.

... Logic (to me) dictates that I should run the ARC first to flatten the sub response to the room's dynamics and then run audyssey to properly blend in with and calibrate the rest of the system. If this logic is flawed, please explain to me why ..

That looks like what Audyssey would recommend in response to a similar question here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=17773860#post17773860

Yes, you connect to the sub line out. Then you run MultEQ XT on the AS-EQ1 by connecting your computer to it and running the app that comes with the AS-EQ1. It calibrates your sub(s). Then you run MultEQ on your 706 and it calibrates the other speakers...

I just realized we were using the term ARC and it means two different things. When you refer to ARC, you are referring to the room correction software in your sub. When I refer to ARC (Anthem Room Correction) I am talking about Anthems version of room correction in my pre-pro. Sorry if I roiled the waters. It seems we all agree to EQ the sub first and let your pre-pro/receiver take over after that.