Hoping The Cornwall 2's Improve ?

ka7niq

I have new caps ready to install, and the new titanium tweeter diapraghms are in the tweeters.

I love the dynamics, and ease these play loud.

But watching TV or movies is a big let down on them, compared to my B&W 801's or my JBL S 412's P's.

Male voices just do not sound right.

Perhaps the old mylar caps have high ESR or are bad, and the crossover points have shifted, I dont know ?

We shall see ??

The Klipsch CF 4's were much better watching TV, and so were the original Forte's.

I can't place the Cornwall II's in the corners, my subwoofers are there, but I have the backs of them 5 inches out from the back walls.

I have moved them every way I can, same thing.

I WANT to like these, they are big and wide, and fill in the space between my subs and 73 inch TV really good.

They play loud, and blend especially well with my subs, giving a mid bass kick lacking on my other speakers.

IS the Cornwall 2 known to have a problem with speech, or do you think it is just bad caps ?

Are you using them with an AVR receiver? If so check the settings: Make them the primary left and right, and set the "size" to "large", and the LFE to 80, etc. Also try the different settings on the AVR. I use 6 x CW's in a horizontal array (double stack on the left and right and a pair as "centers"), but set the AVR to "all channel stereo for "normal" TV. Then..... went to each other setting and "dialed in" what sounded best with movies, DTV broadcast with 5.1, etc.

Since you have made sure that everything is hooked up "in phase", the trick now is to find the best placement, corect AVR/amp settings, etc. Lest we forget.... TV is not usually the best sound source...

I'm down in Okeechobee, send me an email or PM and we can talk and maybe you can take a few hours and drive down and see what can (and cannot...) be done with Heritage in various room environments. I've got them everywhere... (profile...)

I was wondering IF I should rope caulk the Cornwall II

woofer baskets ?

The horns are plastic, dont need it.

Since this woofer plays up to 600 hz, it is responsible for a lot of the midrange.

What about some damping material added to cabinet, maybe like black hole, etc ?

How about damping the dustcap, or doping the woofer cone itself ?

We used to paint the dustcaps with clear nail polish back at Speaker Lab in Seattle.

IS there a dust screen inside the midrange horn on cornwall 2 ?

Have you tried sealing the backboard using thin closed cell weatherstripping? They have it in brown at Lowe's and it really tightened up the bass on my 84 Cornscalas. A cheap, simple and quick upgrade IMHO.

Herb

I think the cornwall 2 backs are already sealed.

I have them sounding good right now, they had some out of phase drivers!!!

Got new caps ready to go in, when I have some help taking them down.

Some people reverse the polarity on the squawkers. This puts them out of phase with the tweeter and woofer, but in phase with each other. This is done to compensate for the humps at the crossover points. Since you are using them for vocals this may not work for you, but it is an easy project to do and if it doesn't give you what you're looking for you can just switch them back.

Some people reverse the polarity on the squawkers. This puts them out of phase with the tweeter and woofer, but in phase with each other. This is done to compensate for the humps at the crossover points. Since you are using them for vocals this may not work for you, but it is an easy project to do and if it doesn't give you what you're looking for you can just switch them back.

The corn 2's sounding pretty good now, gotta get new casps in them