what to do about 2 channel in home theater room

However, I this is new to me, I always used an AVR and a cd player, but I would like to keep that strictly for HT now, and set up a strictly 2 channel stereo kit.

If you are going to use your Forte II's in this 2 channel setup, this will be a match made in heaven.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/ele/1539134855.html

Bill

My 2-Channel system is separated from the Home Theatre system powered by tube gears. I have tried setting up my Home Theatre system for 2-Channel listening also. I use digital connections between the receiver and the CD player, however, it doesn't sound quite as good as on my tube gears.

This is the 2 channel forum and I'm old school, what's this Home Theater and digital stuff? Music is analog and so am I (OK I use a cd player). If you want good music you have to think 2 channel and work on that end. Two channels of the very best stuff is expensive enough. Seven channels of Magnepan 20.1s can get a little pricy..................

Thanx, Russ

P.S. Nothing can surpass separate components.

So, with an older marantz like the one mentioned...digital connections to the cd player aren't even possible, so it's a trade off? Analog connections with older/better amps, than say, a digital connection from my denon AVR to a cd player?

If you were to use a vintage Marantz receiver in your two channel setup, the DACS in the CD player will do the converting and you would send the analog signal via RCA cables to the Marantz. You could also use the CD player as a digital transport and send the signal to an outboard DAC and then analog RCA to the Marantz. Your choice.

Bill

I understand...but given today's technology, it seems like a downgrade to take a digital signal and turn it to analog no?

Not necessarily. The internal DAC's in some players are pure rubbish, better to pass the pure digital signal to a good DAC and then go to the amp section.

I understand...but given today's technology, it seems like a downgrade to take a digital signal and turn it to analog no?

All digital audio signals must be converted back to analog signals to be heard through a speaker.

Digital signal>>>>D/A converter(onboard,outboard,processor,receiver,etc.)>>>>analog signal>>>>speaker>>>>sound

Bill

Ok. Thanks, I'm getting a better handle on this now.

So tell me now what happens if I buy a CD player with an amazing DAC, but I use it before I buy a seperate amp. If it goes through the 2808, then which DAC does the signal get converted?

Also in that case...since I will eventually be purchasing a seperate amp, what are some used CD players to look for that have really nice DACs?

What people forget is that the music is analog and the speakers play analog so when you convert to digital you are changing (in theory) the original intent. Today's digital is very good but there is nothing wrong with analog.

Thanx, Russ

So tell me now what happens if I buy a CD player with an amazing DAC, but I use it before I buy a seperate amp. If it goes through the 2808, then which DAC does the signal get converted?

If you use your CD player as a transport only, then you would be sending a digital bitstream using either a digital coax cable or a fiber optic cable to the 2808's internal DAC's.

If using your CD player as a player, then the players internal DAC's are used and the converted signal(now analog) is sent to the 2808 via RCA cables bypassing it's internal DAC's.

Also in that case...since I will eventually be purchasing a seperate amp, what are some used CD players to look for that have really nice DACs?

You have not specified your budget for a player but here are a couple of suggestions for good used players.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlplay&1267571822&/Denon-3910-SACD-Player

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtltran&1266430444&/integra-dps--10.5-dvd/sacd-

These two are universal players with high quality DAC's and great build quality. I have the Onkyo version(DV-SP1000) of that Integra which is built like a tank and sounds great.

Here is a lesser version(one model down) of the Denon with still quality DAC's.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlplay&1267453838&/Denon-DVD-2910-sacd/dvd-a--uni

Bill