sub placement for 2 channel

I've been going over this in the HT forum, but I just started thinking again. I have a few places to put the sub and I'm not sure what is the best place. I understand crawling around the room and checking that way, but more specifically...I have a question when you are listening to music.

I have found that most people that listen to music, listen with a sub...however, I could be wrong. But if you do, wouldn't it make more sense to put the sub in the middle of the 2 speakers to give an even and lively soundstage like the band is in front of you? I always find if I put the sub off to the side...the bass seems to seperate more. Any suggestions or comments about such a thing?

I'm going over all this because it depends on what type of console I build for the tv. Thanks

I have my REL Storm sub off to the right of my speakers and it also is not in the corner of the back wall, more in the middle of the right wall and I don't find that it's unbalanced in any way, it integrates well with the music. How I arrived at this position for the sub was in regards to something I read about sub woofer placement. The article said was to initially place the sub where you would normally be seated, then while lisining to some music with a good base content you would walk around the room and listen for the best pleasing integration of the sub with the music, ie lack of boominess, balance etc. and where that spot in the room would be is where you would want to place your sub. Hope this helps.

I ask advice for in the event I spend 2K on a new sub...it will sound ideal in the location that the room is built around.

Right now the sub is in a 2 door closet, about 2-3 feet deep. The woofer pokes out from the doorless closet about 3 inches. Next to the sub is my sanus rack with all the components. It is VERY convienient to have this closet on the right wall corner, and the sub sounds best there...however, I want to make sure it wouldn't make more sense to put it in a corner wall, or against the viewing wall.

I resisted for a number of years but I now believe that stereo subs should be located inside your main speakers one on each side near your mains. There are many good reasons for this but the most important for me was that if you cross your sub over where there is ANY bleed over you will not hurt your center image. The next best is a single sub, dead center. IMHO.

Thanx, Russ

I've been going over this in the HT forum, but I just started thinking again. I have a few places to put the sub and I'm not sure what is the best place. I understand crawling around the room and checking that way, but more specifically...I have a question when you are listening to music.

I'm going over all this because it depends on what type of console I build for the tv. Thanks

I feel ya, I am going through the same thing but my room is open more than the other and it seems to matter which side I put the sub more on.

duder

Ugg. Ok..so I spent a few hours luggin the sub around the room, checking levels, testing cd's...and well...funny thing is I have come to the conclusion that I get the smoothest response and highest level with the sub WHERE I HAD IT. Sticking it half out of the closet next to the rack works best. This is good too, because it leaves me a HUGE area to upgrade to something monstrous.