My second RF-7 pair is on the way!

TheEAR

Next week I should have my second RF-7 pair!I will use it as sourrounds,later I will get a third pair and mod the center like HornEd and build my RF-7C.

I have the plans for the front baffle,1" thick high denisty particle board,the horn rests at the center with the twin 10" drivers on each side.

Now I should rival any HT system in power and explosive dynamics.All this powered by my ATI 2505 powerhouse.

Oh yes all this in a 10*14' room! cwm3.gif

Four Sunfire subs provide the sub bass,since Sunfire will release more upscale subs in a few months I will probably add a good two more.

Can you say EXPLOSIVE dynamics,I cant wait the true POWER of KLIPSCH unleashed.

Thanks to HornEd,his six KLF-30's are an inspiration.

Smile.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Way to go, Ear(s)!!! If I hadn't run across the K-horns and Belle when I did, a six pack of RF-7's with one "horizontalized" as a center was my next experiment.

The best MDF I found was at Lowe's... better than Home Depot. A whole 4'x8' sheet is less than $20USD and it will fit the old motorboard (Klipsch nomenclature) space perfectly. I cut mine to a press fit. The holes for the motors (loudspeakers) have to be routed to have the motors flush. Before insertion, the factory paints them with several coats of flat black and attaches them with Liquid Nails.

I removed the original speakers (motors?) and then reached in with a "dead head" rubber mallet and tapped the original motorboard out.

You will not only be the Klipsch Pride of Canada... but of all North America. Your Audiophile Ears will wonder why you didn't do it long ago.

Wow, I can't wait to hear your impressions! -HornEd

Great, I bet you can't wait to get them. You said that you plan on getting a third "pair" to modify into center channel speakers. I assume you're going to make front and rear center speakers out of the pair like HornEd did with his KLF30s. If so, what do you plan on using to power the rear center with the ATI 2505?

You also stated that you'll be using 1" thick high density particle board, is that the same has HDF (as opposed to MDF)? I wonder if there is any difference between MDF and the pressed wood used in budget furniture? Now you're going to need to build a reinforced shelf to hold those two huge and heavy RF-7s over your TV and behind your seat. Have fun with your new project.

Just my opinion, but I would rather get the SVS SS subs ASAP and delay the Sunfire upgrade for now. But then again, I want your review of the new SS subs.

HornEd,

I just posted this then saw your post. Did you "horizontalize" your rear center KLF30 also, or did you set it up as is (vertical)?

This message has been edited by J Tanman on 03-12-2002 at 08:32 PM

J., for the present the three KLF-30's are floor standing. When I move into new digs later this year, I will have custom cabinets to hold source material and be just the right height to hold the three rear KLF-30's about a foot or so above ear level.

When you lift the woofers away from the floor, there is a slight timbre shift as you lose some bass... but my system isn't hurting for bass... and I like the raised effect. Some time ago I used three raised KLF-10's in the rear.

Most of my audio time now is plotting and planning my new K-Horn based music room and rebuilding my motorhome that was recently vandalized. I was scheduled to be at a large Celtic festival in the Frog Jumping country made famous by Mark Twain... but it looks like I will miss it this year.

It is my understanding that 3/4" MDF is the material of choice for motorboards due to its superior audio qualities. I found that Lowe's Home Improvement Centers carry MDF that seems superior to that which I found at the Home Depot Pro store.

Hope that answers some questions. -HornEd

PS: Vonrebel, having a system that will meet the Dolby Minimum Standard for Theaters of 121.5 dB means that we have a sound system that we can hear the full range of Dolby Digital sounds. Sometimes there are sounds that have a high dB for just an instant... having the capacity to hear that sound in its natural form adds to the realism without harming one's ears.

Then, too, I like to recreate the sounds I have heard at concerts in my home theater... and that is probably a bit louder than most TV oriented couch potatoes might prefer. My goal is musical and home theater enjoyment... not premature deafness! -HornEd

HornEd,

When completed this true Klipsch Reference HT system should provide me with almost unlimited dynamics,my goal if efortless sourround sound and good quality here.

I should be able to get the third pair of RF-7's before June.By then I should also have my new digicam and post pics of this EARfull system. Smile.gif

J Tanman,

I will use the spare ATI 1505 I have,the rear channels will be powered by the 1505 and front by the 2505.Should be plenty.

Gary W. Graley,

Probably The Matrix,Terminator 2,Gladiator and my whole collection of DVD's.When the system is completed you can be sure I want to see them all.

Vonrebel,

You are not crazy,TheEAR is a lunatic.HornEd has his six KLF-30's in a large room,I will have six RF-7's in a tiny 10*14' room!

cwm3.gif

Can you say most almost as much cone surface as I have wall surface in this room. LOL

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Sounds AWESOME Ear!! Can't wsit to hear your thoughts on your new sound!!!

Eric.

------------------

Certifed Legend Maniac :

6 KLF-20 as mains, surrounds, rears!

1 KLF-C7 center!

All powered by Denon AVR-5700 (soon to be updated to Aragon Stage 1 or Denon AVR 4802)

HDTV Toshiba 56H80

Dual Subs 12" Velodyne & 15" Earthquake

Sony DVP-NC650v SACD/DvD changer

Toshiba SD-6200 Prog Scan DVD player

DVDO IScan Pro

2 LaserDisc players

Toshiba HiFi VCR

Marantz Pronto Universal Remote

Please Visit My Website : http//hometown.aol.com/erickalet6/home.html

TheEar,

In that small 10 x 14'room and all those speakers in it, I visualize you siting in your chair with your hair blowing back. Like a speaker anvertisement I remember seeing somewhere. Maybe you have seen it.

Where did you get your information about Sunfire coming out with some new subs?

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

Ear,

If you're going to use the ATI 2505 for your front soundstage and the ATI 1505 for the rear, are you going to use the extra two channels on each amp to bi-amp the mains and side surrounds? Way overkill, but you might as well use them, right? Then again, there is no such thing as overkill for youcwm7.gif.

This message has been edited by J Tanman on 03-13-2002 at 05:56 PM

Horn and Ears,

With all those speakers and power surrounding the TV.

Can the TV handle all that vibration?

I usually turn the volume up around 27 to 17 for few tracks,then back to 30 min - 27 max.

Then wait for my ears to stop ringing.

I have a 51 inch panasonic and when cranking just the two mains (RF-7s) the whole TV screen vibrates.

Wonder if that will destroy the insides of the TV??

HornEd

Are you saying RF-7s and KLF-30s with the right power source can meet min. dolby standards. 121.5db ? and are you taking new speaker apart and rebuilding them?

Yamaha RX-V3000

RF-7s

RS-7S

RC-7

Velodyne 1012 sub

Panasonic 51 HDTV

Sony NS400D DVD

Sony VHS

Technics CD and Dbl cassete

Audio Source EQ

von, i have my c7 & vel hgs-18 on/in the same cabinet as the tube, the klf-30 real close, & no real problems yet (fingers crossed).

when i get back from seattle u may have to stop up & hear the set-up. ac/dc, eagles hell freezes, or steely

dan live in dts at 110db. your pick. may wanna bring some ear plugs. Wink.gif

i need some people who really appreciate the sys (unlike the girlfriend) to stop by more often. Smile.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Well Ears, I'm excited and jealous! Smile.gif

I want to do the exact same, but can't seem to find the cash flow.

Vonrebel, I have the same problem with my TV when I crank it up, and it's a tube. The picture gets fluttery, especially during peaks. Perhaps I have my 7's too close (about 2'), but if I move them out farther, they get too close to the corners.

Probably better for my hearing to keep the volume down anyway. It so tough to resist cranking it up with Klipsch.

-PB.

Thanks for all the positive feedback,yes I will take pics and post the steps to build the my new Rf-7C.Klipsch if you listen you could mod the RF-7 very easy and transform the beast onto a RF-7C.And post the whole completed system.

The process for Klipsch would be childs play,just use the CNC cuttong macine to cut the squarish horn hole in the center of the panel,next on each side 2" from the horn cut the two holes for the 10" mid-bass drivers.Move the braces on the indide to form a symetrical brace on both sides and the back panel like the RC-7 make the CNC cutter cut a port hole on each side.Voila you are done and now have a nice $1300 center channel speaker for all the hard core Klipsch fans.

I am telling Klipsch,if you can make me a RF-7C I am ready to pay for it.And arange with my Klipsch dealer in Montreal to get at least two.

J Tanman,

Yes I will use the 2505 four channels on the front RF-7's,can you say efortless.Efortless sound is what I am after.

Vonrebel,

No I dont have problems with my TV,it sits on a new Lovan audio rack(moved from a coffe table)and the vibration is minimal.The tube may implode one day when I surpass the HornEd reference level.

SO far around 110-116db Iis plenty,most of the time I listen at 90-100dB.When some peeps who doubt the power of Klipsch pass by I step on the gas and all "reference" levels are smashed.All are converted by force.

And all naysayers who bash Sunfire leave with their jaws on the floor.The sub bass from my Sunfires is sub human.

Smile.gif

PS the SVS and JBL Ti-K I want will reside in my large Dynaudio/Celeste HT system.Yes I want SIX awe inspiring subs in that system(Aerial,Revel,Velo,SVS(2 SS)and the JBL).My bass dream will be complete.

Q-Man,

"Where did you get your information about Sunfire coming out with some new subs?"

Ah ha lets just say I know those in the know,the same source said well before any Sunfire Super Junior was out it would be out and when.

The new subwoofers(Carver and Sunfire)will have outboard crossovers.Sunfire should have two units(Carver...unclear)and at least one should be High-End.

I am ordering it as soon as its out.No further specs as of now.I post any news

Oh ATI should have a larger amp,more power then the 2505!A real brute This amp to is on my,must see,hear,feel and buy list.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

This message has been edited by TheEAR on 03-13-2002 at 07:55 PM