Amp selection for the jbl 4638

Maximo

I know alot of people have bought the partsexpress plate amp. But I dunno if thats gonna fly (with how it looks) with the girlfriend hehe. So I am wondering what people think would be a good power amp to run this. I have looked at the NAD 214, and the Samson Servo 550. I am prolly gonna try to spend less then 300 on it on ebay used or new. Just looking for some ideas. Trying to find a amp that will bridge-mono at 4 ohms and be clear and have enough power to push this.

btw my prologic yamaha amp is ok but the 60 watts isnt real great and it is hissing when turned up(could be coming from the main receiver out but not real certain)

Just looking for any other brands or model numbers that would work good in your opinion.

Thanks

This message has been edited by Maximo on 03-12-2002 at 11:06 PM

For the money, I would try to find a mid-range, professional amplifier. Remember, you'll need a crossover or subwoofer output.

I would recommend the folloeing brands, top two the most, bset reputation in the indusrty:

CROWN (BSET, but mucho $$$)

QSC (also very good, a little cheaper)

SAMSON (SVS amp, good and cheap, too!)

CARVER (Carver PRO is good stuff)

MACKIE (still good, lots of power for $$$)

CREST AUDIO (less popular, but still good)

YAMAHA (their pro stuff is cheap, and has a decent reputation)

Those are some of the pro amps I am familiar with. The most important thing is that you can bridge it to MONO. If they can't support 4 ohms, you looking at the WRONG amp, as most pro stuff is 4, or even 2 ohms. Use your instinct, as some pro stuff could have been abused horribly.

If you check out musiciansfriend.com and fullcompass.com, they sometimes have specials that are cheap and new or refurbished.

I see what your criteria is, but the little $150 partsexpress.com amp is worling fine for me and my bass addiction.

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

Maximo,try the Musicians Friend link provided above or even www.partsexpress.com for the Crown CE1000 at $399 with free shipping.Everybody has them for that price with free shipping.450 watts/channel in stereo @ 4ohms, 1100 watts bridged mono @ 4ohms.You can download the manual at their site.Make note of the outputs before you buy.Adapters available.

An even better option may be the Sampson 1000?.Same price,a little more juice.Either one ought to make the bassbins sing!

Keith

Oh yea, www.zzounds.com

>Forgot to add that Parts Express has the # 300-794 and #300-793 plate amps for $129.90/$135.00. Hard to beat for the price.

This message has been edited by talktoKeith on 03-13-2002 at 01:52 AM

Lemme get this straight. You are concerned about an amp unit, the size of a text book because it might be too much for your girl friend. And this is to power a dual 15" woofer cabinet with dimensions of 39" tall x 25.5 " wide x 17.75" deep, weighing 146 lbs? There's a possibility that this cabinet is bigger than your girlfriend (she could fit inside it). Perhaps you should reconsider purchasing this unit at all for something smaller and less offensive. On the good side, it sounds really good (with the PartsExpress amp) and I am quite pleased. Good luck.

CT

------------------

=====================================

You can tune a radio, but you can't tuna fish!

=====================================

Yeah, if you have the dual 15" sub, who cares how big the amp is!

Anyway, the Crown from musicians friend is great! The $150 partsexpress is also good, and cheap!

------------------

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

Ended up getting a Parasound HCA-1000a, Its stable to 2 ohms, and has overload warning lights on it that will tell me if its in trouble. Using it monobridged and it gets that speakerbox pretty loud. My only problem now is, it seems my str-de945 is a bit on the noisey side, like if I turn up the 4638 amp all the way, I can hear a hiss and if I like change a track on a cd can hear a slight beep. Its like amplifying all the background noise comming from the sony, and it seems the sony has a lot of it heh. So I think in the next few months I am going to try to aquire a 5 channel parasound amp, and preamp and just go that way.

Thanks for all the help

PARASOUND!!!

NICE!!!

Hope you enjoy it. My partsexpress amp id DEAD SCILENT. My 2X expensive Sony receiver sounds like an ocean simulator (shhhshshshshshshshssshhshhshshshsh at 1/2 volume)

Enjoy!

------------------