I just picked up a pair of CF4's what version are these?

Dylanl

If memory serves, the original CF4 and CF3 had heavy cone woofers with neodymium magnets, pro quality stuff. They also had a 2" aluminum driver that was also pro quality. They were a departure from the traditional "Klipsch sound" which caused some issues. I believe the later version had retuned cabinets with the shallower ports, lighter cone woofers and maybe a change in the cabinet volume but don't quote me on that. One down side is the availability, or lack there of, of replacement parts. If you blow a woofer or fry a diaphragm, getting a replacement may be iffy at best. I have never heard a pair of CF4's but I know they have a lot of fans. I hope this helps some.

It is my understanding that the shallow ports=version 3. Don't know if the crossovers were changed but I know I read somewhere that the woofers are different from the 1's to the 3's. Those woofers do have Neo magnets, nice! I would just use caution in driving them too hard! The wire looks like "Monster Cable" that Klipsch used for a time. How do they sound? Do they blow away the 19's???

As far as I know all CF4's have neo motor woofers. The version 1's had a slightly deeper tune due to the 5" versus 2.5" ports and the drivers were a little bit higher MMS I believe. The crossover had some changes by version 3 too I believe, but I don't think any of it was major. I like my pair of version 3's and my later version 2's just fine as well and though I haven't spent extensive time listening to version 1's I doubt if there is a night and day difference in the sound, or much of one at all really other than at the bottom of the bass range. I'm sure others will disagree.

Yours are a little confusing. The ports say that they would be version 3 but the serials say 1 or early 2. The better question is do you like the way that they sound? The version doen't really matter unless you plan to sell.

I've tried mine with 10" ports and a couple of other sizes and also sealed. They are in their stock configuration now where they have useable response to 30hz. Factory configured is probably the best way. If you want to try them out with different ports give it a shot. You may like it. By tuning lower with longer ports you lose some headroom in the upper bass range. If you don't use loud levels for listening this may be acceptable. I use subwoofers for evertything so it's not worthwhile to me to do this. YMMV.

Another thing I read about the Epics is that the earlier versions had gray colored woofers that became black in version 3. Yours look gray in color. It was also said that the woofers in the version 3's became the ones used in the KLF series. I have a pair of Epic CF3's version 1. I have had them for several years now and am still quite happy with them. I think someone who had them before you might have been confused about the port length issue and mistakenly put in shorter ones.