Adding Home theatre/Updating my system and need help - HK components and Heresy speakers

timyoung

This is my 1st post to this forum. I've used woodworking forums in the past and really enjoy the help they provide to the members. I'm hoping to find this forum to be the same. I purchased a Harmon Kardon component system more than 25 years ago. It came with (2) HK775 amps, HK725 Pre-amp, HK715 Tuner, T20 Turntable and a HK cassette player. But the best part was the Klipsch Heresy speakers. The entire system has been great for many years. I don't know that I can use any of it for the new system??? I want to put together a home theatre system for about $1200. This would include: Front bookshelf speakers, center channel, rear surround speakers, sub and recevier. I've been looking at the Klipsch reference series speakers. Specificaly I've been looking at the RB-10 speaker group and the RB-25 group. I think the RB-25 group is now the RB-52 group. I think the RB-35 group is too big for what I plan to do. Although, could the RC-35 center channel be matched up with the RB-52? Thank you. Tim

Hi there. From what I've gathered reading the forums over the years you should be able to use your heresys as mains for a HT and use the older klipsch speakers to match the sound pretty well. Lots of people here with a heritage HT like to use the academy center but those are typically not easy to find and can be around 400 dollars. I would think the KLF or KG series would be a pretty good match for the heritage line but i've never heard them together, perhaps someone here could elaborate on that subject. If you're on a budget, I've read people saying the sub12 is a good match for their heritage HTs. However, if you do have woodworking skill and tools you could construct your own subwoofer for a little less with more output and awesome low end bass (something like a Dayton 390 HF like I have). For your budget of $1200 I think you would be better off keeping your heresys for mains and building the system around that. As far as recievers go Denon, Harman Kardon, Marantz, Yamaha and some Pioneer elites are the norm around here. I own a Yamaha and I think dollar-for-dollar it is the best buy. The Yamaha RX-V465 is a 5.1 reciever with a $379 list (i'd go 7.1 if you wanted to get more speakers in the future but I think a good 5.1 is all you need). It has a clean 105wpc and has all the goods like Hdmi etc. Hope this was helpfull. Welcome to the forum

Thank you Fizzlemizzle! Good information. Since I am building a new entertainment cabinet, I was thinking about building the Klipsch speakers into it. The cabinet will be in (3) pieces. The center piece will be approx. 50" wide, 25" tall and 18" deep. All components will go in it. Plus I was thinking about putting the center channel and the sub woofer in the middle section. The center cabinet would have (2) tall cabinets approx. 45" tall on the right and left. Picture towers on both sides. In the side cabinets, I was thinking about putting the Heresy speakers ear level in the (2) side cabinets. With a sub woofer, would this be too much base? The Klipsch RB-25's have a mid range speaker and tweeter. The receiver I am looking at is the Yamaha RX-V665. Question for someone. Each HK775 applifier powers one Klipsch Heresy speaker. Can I still use these amps and just replace the pre-amp? Maybe I'm better off going to a receiver? Can someone advise on how they think this would sound...

Front Speakers - early 80's Klipsch Heresy placed ear level in a cabinet.

Center Channel - Either the Klipsch RC-25 or RC-52 placed right below the TV, but abgle slightly upward.

Surround Rear - Either the Klipsch RS-25 or RS-42 placed in the rear right and left sitting area.

Subwoofer - I would enojoy making the sub. Making the enclosure would be pretty easy for me.Is parts express the best source? What about Boston Acoustics XB-6?

If I can use my HK775's and add to them, that woudl be my preference. If not, the Yamaha RX-V665 is what I am looking at.

Thanks, Tim

Hey Tim, sounds like a pretty cool setup but putting the subwoofer in the center cabinet would probably not be such a great idea. I'm not so sure about mixing reference with heritage, aside from looking odd, from what I hear on these boards they just have a different sound and tend not to mesh so well together but that is completely subjective. What would you be willing to spend? What I would do If I were you is just move the heresys to another room with those amps for a very nice stereo listening setup. Reciever would definitely be the way to go in my opinion, it would be a much simpler, cleaner, modern looking setup and the sound quality these days from some is very good. Where are you located? I've been looking for someone that could build me a nice subwoofer enclosure and I have a rt-10d I'd be willing to trade you for the box and some cash. A setup with RB-61 (maybe floorstanders) for mains with a rc-52 center and rs-42 surrounds and the rt-10d would be a very nice theater indeed.

Don't use a current Reference series center speaker with Heresy fronts. You want your front 3 speakers to match as closely as possible. Is there any way you can build an entertainment cabinet that would house a third Heresy?

Also, I wouldn't recommend putting the subwoofer within the entertainment cabinet. Subwoofers are extremely sensitive to where they are placed in a room and if you build something that makes it so that's the only place in the entire room that it would go, you're more than likely losing out on a lot of the subwoofer's performance if it were place elsewhere in the room.

Sounds like it would not be a good idea to mix the Heresy's with any of the Reference series center channels or build teh Sub into the center cabinet. Scratch that idea. I had thought about just moving the HK system and Heresy speakers into another room. I sent a PM on the RT-10d. One the speaker enclosure, if I'm not near by your location, I most likely know a woodworker who could build you a box for the sub. What do you think about the Yamaha receiver I mentioned? Thanks

I may actually have access to another Heresy speaker. But not sure the cabinet will have room for it. Do you think using my Heresy speakers for the fronts and a 3rd Heresy as the center channel would be a better than using the Reference series speakers? I won't plan on using the sub in the center cabinet. Thanks, Tim

I may actually have access to another Heresy speaker. But not sure the cabinet will have room for it. Do you think using my Heresy speakers for the fronts and a 3rd Heresy as the center channel would be a better than using the Reference series speakers?

110% absolutely. As the sound pans across the front 3 speakers it will be seamless. You'll have equal sensitivy, equal crossover points, equal frequency responses, equal drivers and the material they're made out of.

The current Reference series speakers are very, very good. But, there's a reason why so many on here are constantly searching for vintage Klipsch. Since you already have the Heresy fronts it makes sense to match up another one as a center. Also, if you have to buy a pair of Heresys there's always someone in the market for a single Heresy so you wouldn't have any problem selling the leftover one.

I picked up the other set of Heresy's this evening. Not great looking, but since they will be in the cabinet, no one will see them. No issue on dimensions since I am building the cabinet to fit the speakers. Is there a difference between my 1982 Heresy's and Heresy II's? Not sure if this forum has gloats like my woodworking forums, but this may be one. $100 was his asking price and he threw in a Sansui AU-D7 receiver. Thanks

Thanks. It seemed like a pretty good deal. Now I have my front and center speakers... all Heresy. Minimal investment so far which means I have a little more for the remaining speakers and the receiver. Any suggetsions on what would compliment the heresy's? Also, I mentioned earlier I am looking at a Yamaha receiver. I've been very happy with my HK components. Seems like there are so many good choices out there when it comes to receivers. Thanks, Tim

Are you going to keep any of your old HK items? If not you could sell them and have more $$ available for your receiver and surrounds.

If you can score another pair of Heresy's on the cheap like you just did of course they would work as surrounds! The Klipsch KG line is a good line to look at since they can be purchased very inexpensively and range from bookshelf to floorstanding speakers depending on how much room you have for surrounds.

Lots of members on here enjoy their Yamaha receivers with their Klipsch speakers. Denon and Marantz are two good choices as well.

Wow Tim that is an absolute incredible steal you got on the speakers, free reciever too! I personally would go Yamaha they generally get awesome reviews and are great bang-for-the-buck. Audioholics reviewed my reciever and it actually made over the stated power.... too bad it doesnt have hdmi [:(]. So what do you need now? surrounds and a subwoofer?

Found you a Yamaha Rx-v765 reciever for $394.99 shipped. It is one of their higher models and has 95w x 7. All the hdmi and stuff you would need going into the future. Here's a review of it http://hometheaterreview.com/yamaha-rx-v765-home-theater-receiver-reviewed/. Here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-Rx-v765-Home-Theater-Receiver-HDMI-7-2-BEST-DEAL_W0QQitemZ370318809443QQcmdZViewItemQQptZReceivers_Tuners?hash=item5638b89963

I've watched the prices on eBay for the HK stuff and it doesn't sell for much. Most likely I will set it up in one of the kids rooms. As far as the Heresy's, they work for me in the front and center because I can build them into the cabinet. The rears and sub won't be. I'd prefer somethng that was smaller. Thanks for all the help. Tim