White oak or red oak what is Oil Oak?

merkin

I'm planning on reveneering some of my speakers and making them Oil Oak to match some other speakers. I've searched the forum and have came up with both red oak and white oak for the wood. I believe Colter has an old post that says white and a recent one from Groomslake says red. I also saw that the minwax #230 I think was the stain. I used that on some red oak for risers for my forte II's. It was real close but not exact. Since these new veneered speakers won't be right next to the other oil oak speakers the the exact tint doesn't have to be spot on.

Thanks

Keith

I'm planning on reveneering some of my speakers and making them Oil Oak to match some other speakers. I've searched the forum and have came up with both red oak and white oak for the wood. I believe Colter has an old post that says white and a recent one from Groomslake says red. I also saw that the minwax #230 I think was the stain. I used that on some red oak for risers for my forte II's. It was real close but not exact. Since these new veneered speakers won't be right next to the other oil oak speakers the the exact tint doesn't have to be spot on.

Thanks

Keith

Keith,

Never question Marshall on finishes. [Y]

When I was in High School, I was in Wood Shop 1,2,&3. Woods 3 was by invitation of the teacher only. There were only 3 of us in a school of over 900 in woods 3. We got to go to shop instead of study hall, and the teacher bid paid jobs he would make money on and we would do the work.

Just after High School, I worked 3.5 years at a custom kitchen cabinet shop making all of the face frames. My next job was building cabinets and laminet work in a custom laminate shop.

True "White" oak is much stronger and harder then "Red" Oak. True white Oak, has a greenish / brownish cast to it in the raw. Red Oak can be had in a variety that has a pinkish tinge to it, or a whitish version. Red Oak has a less tight / larger growth grane to it. Red Oak also takes stain much better then true white oak.

What you are looking for is the white "Red Oak". This becomes even more confusing in that I have been to many lumber mills where they think the white version of the red oak is "White Oak"

If I had any samples, I would send them to you, but now that I have explained, do a little research for pictures of these variants in the raw, and you will clearly see what I am talking about.

Roger

Thanks Mungkin and Rodger! I'll do some research. I was looking at the Oak Veneer Company on line. They said that their Red oak can vary from pink to wheat. I'll contact them to see if I can get the wheat colored. It looks like i should get the flat cut. Their prices seem to be fairly in expensive. I may order a full extra sheet just so I will have lot of extra to have the grain centered on the pieces.

thanks again

Keith