Newly acquired Cornwalls - several questions

beeah

Hello,

First, I should introduce myself. This is my first post, though I've lurked around a bit for a while. This is the first pair of Klipsch speakers that I've ever heard, let alone owned, and they are supplanting a pair of Fostex FE206Es. I run a 45 SET or a Single-ended EL84 amp (both DIY), depending on my mood.

Anyhow, I just bought a pair of '73 Decorator Cornwalls. Before I handed the cash over, I gave them a listen and I removed the back from one of the speakers for inspection. Nothing of concern - unmolested B crossover & all drivers appeared original - though the woofer was a K-33-E, which I thought was a little odd but not out of the question given all the variations over the years. I did not open the second cabinet...

...Until later that afternoon. The tweeter and squawker are ok, but the woofer is a K-33-V - not what I expected nor wanted. I'll post pictures sometime this weekend, but my initial questions are:

1) Obviously one of the woofers was replaced at some point, but is it possible (or likely) that the K-33-E is not original either?

2) Is it strongly recommended to have matching woofers? If so should I match the E or the V, or should I ditch them both and buy a pair from Bob Crites or another K-33 variety?

Also, I will likely refinish these, but I want to get them up to snuff functionally first. I'll replace the caps in the crossover soon, once I get a sense of what they sound like (quasi-) stock. Another oddity is they do have grills & logos, which appear original and consist of grill cloth glued to the front of the motor board and edged with trim nailed to the face of the motor board.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers,

Joe

It is not clear that you should worry about it. They are both K-33 woofers. The final letter (E or V etc) indicates who the manufacturer was (Klipsch did not make their own drivers).

My guess is that they were made to comparable specs. That said, there may be differences due to age or technological progress if they are not the same vintage (e.g. the square vs non-square magnets).

I agree with Tom regarding the woofers. If you decide they sound different, then you can go ahead and get another E to match. I don't think it'll be an issue. I can't comment on the Crites woofers. I've never heard them.

Sounds like the grill cloth is original. Back then they stapled the cloth on to the motorboard. It's a PITA to remove and there's no easy way.

Welcome to the forum. Post pics when you can.