67 Standel

artto

Not many are familiar with Standel. Standel actually preceded Fender in many inovations. Back in the day, I pretty much used Standel exclusively, usually one or two Super Artists (2x15 each). IMHO one of the finest bass amps of its time. Of course I replaced the stock Standel speakers with JBL D140F and cut the overload limiter out of the circuit.

I acquired this one, a Studio XX for $100 about 10 years ago. I put a JBL D130F in it thats been reconed as a D140F.

My better half and I had just come home from a New Years party at a neighbor and WXRT was playing a pretty good string of tunes, so I couldn't resist a little "play along". This little Standel happened to be the easiest amp to grap so I thought what the hell ~ lets use this! And since its already out, I figured this would be my next vintage post.

post-10840-1381952705017_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

Guys, I have the Studio XII and I need service on it.

ANyone know if anyone can repair these?

John in Ohio

I know this is a little late, but........

Standel solid state amplifiers used some "special" circuitry which they embedded in epoxy in one-half of those clear plastic parts boxes. These parts are long gone and it's very difficult if not impossible to find out what's in there. So if what's gone wrong is in one of those epoxied plastic trays you're probably out of luck unless you can find another Standel for parts.

It is in fact these epoxied plastic trays with circuitry that later helped put Standel out of business in the early 70's. Apparently Standel had made a substantial number of amplifiers with these that began to fail after a year or so. This was when they introduced the Bi-Axle and Tri-Axle series of amps mounted in a vertical rack, sort of like the Vox amps and the one with the sparkle blue grill cloth and fake wood grain control panel face. Standel being known for and pursuing their signature "super clean" sound was sort of the antithesis of what was occuring in popular music at the time. Those factors along with being overleveraged such as buying out the old Stephens/Trusonic speaker company so they could make their own drivers kind of put the company over the edge and they went BK. They were then bought buy Chicago Musical Instrument (CMI) which owned Gibson at the time. They eventually dropped the Standel name.

It's also of interest that many of the features we still see today where pioneered by Bob Crooks/Standel. Standel was the first to produce a "piggyback" amp/speaker cabinet design, the use of JBL drivers in a musical instrument amplifier, the first tube/transistor hybrid circuits, front panel dials and more.

http://www.standelamps.com/about_us/story/index.html