Klipsch SW-12 sub w/Forte's?

willland

I spotted a used Klipsch SW-12 subwoofer in oak oil for $250.00. It looks to be in great shape. I recently aquired a vintage Denon

PRA-1500 preamp to round out my vintage Denon 2 channel rig. To my surprise, not only did it have the normal preouts for an amp it also has a preout for a subwoofer. [:D]Bonus for me. I immediately hooked up my RSW-10d to the rig and was really pleased how it blended with the Forte's.[Y]

How will the SW-12 mesh with the Forte's? Is $250.00 too much? Any opinions or comments are welcome.

Thanks,

Bill

Hey Bill,

I did a little research and it looks like that sub was made in the mid 90's. Kinda old! It has a 150watt amp. Kinda Small!

Can you listen to it first? I read some so-so comments and some bad comments. In my opinion, I might look for something newer. But that is just my opinion.

HSU offers some in that price range -----> CLICK HERE

Good Luck and Hopefully someone who has one, will help,

Dennie

wIllland,

At mid to quiet listening volume it will fill in that low end nicely. However, with your Forte's the sub may fall behind if you listen at loud levels. I think $250 is a little high in my opinion. From what I've read the SW12 internal amps were prone to some problems(more than others, all relative). The SW12 II has a better record with their amps.

I had an SW12 and gave it to my brother. Bought it for $80 a couple years ago. It needed repair - in the active woofer, the spider came unglued from the woofer cone. After gluing it worked fine (check my avatar pic). I used it with my KG 3.5s for a time and it pounded nicely. Then my brother was subless and I gave it to him.

Hope this helps and good luck. Maybe you can haggle him down.

Thanks Dennie and Rivernuggets for your replies. I know there are better subs out there but I wanted it mainly because it is "vintage" and will match perfectly with the Forte's. I read about the hum issues and I think I know how to correct that. This system is in my family room so I can't crank it up like I want to. If the seller can lower price to $175.00 I may jump on it.

Thanks again,

Bill

better than a KSW-12. Nicer looking - furniture quality as well. I wanted one sooooo bad when I was in college - finally got one for my dad's HT a few years back. He loves it with the KG 2.2. I wouldn't use it for "stereo" use with your Forte's. They don't need a sub - especially for stereo audio use.

Bill, any news with the SW-12?

I think it is still available but have not contacted the seller yet. I just bought (7) Marantz monoblocks and am a little short on $$$ for now. Maybe I will sell (2) of them and use some of the money to get the SW-12.

Bill

Bill, any news with the SW-12?

I think it is still available but have not contacted the seller yet. I just bought (7) Marantz monoblocks and am a little short on $$$ for now. Maybe I will sell (2) of them and use some of the money to get the SW-12.

Bill

Cool. Did you get the M-500 or M-700? If so, good stuff. PM sent.