RF-III 2 vs RS-52/62 as surrounds for HT...

bairda

I am finally upgrading the furniture in my HT from 20 year old couches to a new sectional. Unfortunately, when my wife and I were measuring out the sectional, there is a tight fit between the wall, the couch and my RFIII's sitting on pedestals. This has led me to consider the idea of selling my RF III's and replacing them with either RS-52's or 62's. This would give me more flexibility in placing the couch, but I am concerned about the hit I will take in sound. The rest of my system (RF-7's for FL/R, RC-7 for C, Quintets for Rears and SVS PB-13 for sub, Emotiva XPA-3 powering the L/R/C, Denon 3808 powering the Surrounds and Rears) will not change. I do like the sound of the RF III's as the surrounds, but I am wondering:

• Will the RS-52/62's match the sound of the RF III's or even improve it. I mainly listen to movies with music being only about 20% of my listening.
  • Which would be a better match for my system, the 52 or 62's.
  • How much can I get for the RF III's should I sell them

I really like my RF III 2's. However, with the tightness of the space I am not sure they will easily work with the new furniture.

Opinions welcome!

Thanks,

-Alex-

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update...

I was able to find a local pair of RS-62's new in box for $575. I have purchased those and replaced the RF-3 ii's that had been serving as surrounds. It is very hard to make an accurate assessment of their impact on my HT, as my wife has bought a new (and huge) sectional couch and replaced the old furniture that was in the room. Listening postion, distance to speakers and everything else has changed. I also was forced to sell my Denon 3808 and replace it with a Denon 4310 when my cat threw up into the receiver (true story...tragic...but true) last weekend. So lots of changes.

However, after calibration, I can't remember the HT sounding any better. Good clean sound; plenty of controlled, distinct bass; the surrounds are blending much better. Overall I am very pleased with the RS-62's, but then again, I can't tell if it is them or all the other changes.

BTW... if anyone is interested and living near Louisville, KY, I have my RF-3 II's up for sale along with a RC-3 II and the Denon 3808. The Denon's network card is blown, but everything else works.

Thanks,

-Alex-

RF-7 (L/R)
RC-7 ©
RS-62 (S L/R)
Quintets (SB)
SVS-PB 13 Ultra
Denon 4310 (Pre Amp + power for surrounds and back)
Emotiva XPA-3 (L/R/C Amp)
JVC-RS1

Alex,

I'm glad you are enjoying your new 62's, sounds like you got them for a steal! Specific question for you:

How do you like the XPA-3 powering your L/C/R? What does it change specifically in the sound of your speakers over just using your denon's amp?

I'm asking because I'm planning on doing the exact same thing with my L/C/R and my Integra (100w/ch X 7ch). I would really like to hear your opinion. Thanks in advance!

Jrod

Alex,

That was exactly what I needed! Great review, very honest. I'm going to pull the trigger at some point, probably some time in the next 3-6 months. I've been upgrading quite a bit lately, I need to slow down for a bit.

Your room sounds like it is killer.

Thanks again for the help!

Jrod