La Scala SN and non working price check

kzr750r1

I have a friend with a pair of La Scala and may be willing to part with them. They have been sitting not working for almost 10 years. He's moving in the comming months and will likely not have room for them.Cabs in good shape. The SN on one is 19T605 and from what I've read that's 1979. Am I correct on the vintage? The Cross overs are AA. The previous owner admitted buying them for $500 bucks in the 80s. Used to mow the lawn with one kicked to the door to hear the tunes. :) I remember when they worked and was really impressed.

I don't want to rip of my good friend, so would $300 bucks be fair due to the fact I will have to figure out what's blown out?

Hoping these to replace my Bose 901 as left and right channels on my home theather setup.

Thanks

At this point they arn't working but otherwise in good structural shape...This is the main reason I'm on the fence about offering price. If ythey workes I'd just probably see if he'd take $500. I have not gone through any further diagnosis as to why just yet they are not working.

Main thing I'm looking for is a good fair stab it the dark if you came across a similar deal. How much would you offer?

I'll search around for component rebuild replacment costs... any suggestions would be greatly appriciated though.

As stated the cab condition looks great, Signature and SN Tag are not even faded. Open grain looks like birch should just need a good oil job from what I can tell. Grill material is in good shape as well.

Thanks

'Non working' can mean a lot of things. No sound from either cabinet? The tweeters don't work? No bass? They just don't sound good...?

The first thing to do is make sure the crossovers are there. Loosen all the screws and retighten. Check all other connections. You might be surprised.

Bruce

I would say $300 is reasonable.

There is a value, or negative value, to the risk about exactly what is not working. In the circumstances the cost of repair is an unknown.

Even though the fellow is a friend, I think you are not ripping him off in that you are taking on the entire risk of cost of repair, and he is not.

Suggestion: If you want to balance things out, maybe you have some unwanted piece of equipment, a CD, connectors, of small value to you but of some greater value to him. Maybe even something for his GF or kid. Throw that into the deal on top of the cash. Something which, like the risk, is difficult to put a monetary value upon.

This would make the deal a little less mercenary and more in the spirit of friendship and good will.

Wm McD

No sound at all comming from either speaker cab is what I recall. Both AA crosovers are present. Were definitly run hard and put away wet many times with an under powered amp. Only thing I can do at this point is get them over here and start testing the components.

He's a mechanic by trade. So I'm sure at minimum he tested the amp was sending signal to another set of speakers. Swapped channels ect. But that's probably it.

I'll keep you guys up to date. Thanks.

I'm in the valley near the S.F. bay area. Battling with the wife to accept that I'm going to buy these speakers with our without her blessing. I told her she my not like the look but will not complain once it's shaking her booty. ;)

Did some more reading on the current gear I have and how to make these work in 5.1 surround system. Looks like I need to buy a couple more amps to satisfy the 901 and La Scala off of my preamp outs on my Onkyo TX-NR801. The only additional speaker I need to complete is the center. On the fence if I should sell the 901 or keep thim in play.

I'm not going to pressure him to sell, already asked for him to think of a price. I am going to offer a hand diagnosing them though, just to see if it's simple or needs a cap replacement kit, drivers, who knows at this point.

Need a couple of welders serviced. May as well trade services. I'll learn some more in the process.

I may get a reprieve from the warden the rest of the weekend. Might get over there sooner than later. :)