Questions About Older La Scalas

KauaiBass

Aloha!

Full on newbie here.

I am stoked to have picked up a pair of LaScalas at a Rummage Sale for cheap this week. I've done a bit of reading on this forum and elsewhere and I think they are 'split' La Scalas. They are serial numbers 1420 and 1536 (on the horn top panels). I've seen the serial number decoder and it places these way back in the 60's but this doesn't jibe with how they look. They look more 1975 than 1961. Are these "Industrial" series? Did they have their own numbering system?

They work great, and as a brand new Klipsch owner I can see what all the fuss is about. They are efficient and sound like live...even on my crappy 100W amp. I just happen to have a powered JBL 18" sub, so it works great with the La Scalas below 60Hz or so.

As you can see from the photos, they are pretty beat up. Though sound appears flawless. Word is they lived in a Chicago House Music Club in the 80s and came to Hawaii in late 80s; toured with a reggae group for 12 years all over the Pacific, and now ended up at my kid's Chuch Rummage Sale here in Kauai for $200. My plan is to repaint them black (can one get new Klipsch decals or do I need to mask 'em?), maybe cover the broken plywood corners with metal protectors (anyone know where to source these?), and maybe add grille cloth to the horns. Also soon I want to open them up and see what's inside. Any threads to recommend on this topic?

Anything I should check over, rebuild, or clean out?

I've been wanting a pair of Klipsch speakers for 30 years and boom they landed in my lap lidat....

Here's pics (sorry they are kinda dark and iPhon-esque)..

klipschserialno.jpg

klipschset-1.jpg

lascala-1.jpg

• Moderators

Welcome to the forum. What a great buy! You are going to love your new speakers.....I am so happy you have finally gotten them.

Weekends are kind of slow around here....so give it a day or two and if no one answers your questions we can give your thread a little "bump" to get some answers for you.

Again, congratulations on your new speakers.....we hope you stick around for awhile....this is an awesome place to hang out....lots of super nice folks here.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I'm a bit confused about the exact name of these things, but knowing they are "LSI" is a good thing - thanks!

(they also seem to be called Industrial Series and Pro Series, yeah?)

I read several threads about refinishing these and plan to use the Bondo trick to fix the corners, then repaint them.

And they MUST be good, as even my wife who usually could care less about such things, was amazed at their sound. [Y]

Is the best way into the tops through the terminal panel?

I'm a bit confused about the exact name of these things, but knowing they are "LSI" is a good thing - thanks!

LaScala Industrial... were sold to be in Pro systems, stage, P.A. You are good to go.

Is the best way into the tops through the terminal panel?

By 'into the tops" do you mean into the trapezoid cabinet with the Midhorn and Tweeter?

Have you seen these natural finish LSIs? I love them...

and again, WELCOME

Bruce

post-7149-13819538688268_thumb.jpg

post-7149-13819554033056_thumb.jpg

post-7149-13819566906484_thumb.jpg