How Important is ProLogic II in Home Theatre??

HTGirl

cwm15.gif

I can get a Great deal on a denon 3801 (105 Watts x 7) receiver, but it doesn't have Prologic II .

The Denon 3802 has this but it will cost me about 3 times the price.

Is Prologic II worth all that extra cash ???

This message has been edited by HTGirl on 03-14-2002 at 11:13 AM

HTGirl, welcome aboard, and nice lips!

I have a 3801 and simply love it.To give a general answer to your in general question,if I could get a new 3801 for 1/3 the cost of a new 3802 then I wouldn't hesitate.I personally no longer need any form of pro-logic.Good luck to you and enjoy the new receiver!

Keith

ProLogic II decoders do have significant advantages over ProLogic. The biggest one is full range stereo rear channel sound instead of 7 kHz wide mono when playing back ProLogic encoded signals. ProLogic encoded analog TV programs with significant surround sound, like action movies, will sound better.

ProLogic II also gives you more control over what you hear when playing back stereo recordings through your surround system. The idea here is that they were never mastered for playback through a surround system, so you might have to tweak the signal to make it sound good. But then, you can always listen to the recording in stereo mode and hear what was intended by the recording engineer.

So, it all really depends on what you are listening to.

ProLogic II is not a big deal for me. We are in a digital age. DVD, satellite TV, OTA DTV sound is digital. Audio is going digital with DVD-A and SACD.

The price difference would make it a no-brainer for me. But that is based on my listening habits.

If ProLogic encoded analog TV is a big part of your listening, I would suggest that you listen to both receivers in your listening environment before making the choice, if you can.

I have the 3802 and use ProLogicII quite a bit (still have a VHS collection). I'm really glad I have it (if the 3801 has normal ProLogic capabilities, then I would buy it). If you plan on watching many VHS movies, and the 3801 doesn't support normal ProLogic, I would seriously consider the 3802.

I'd buy the 3801 anyway at that price, and if you don't like it, you could probably recover your costs.

-PB

dpl-2 is an improvement, but definitely NOT worth the difference in price. avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15 in the house!!

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

I have the 3802 and if you watch a significant amount of broadcast (including digital cable) you would notice a significant improvement. I do and am glad I have it.

At three times the price I too would be stuck on what to do, but you won't see me trading in the ProLogic II now that I have it.

------------------

Hwatkins

The other issue is that the older ProLogic units were built in a superior fashion. During their heyday before THX, manfactures actually went out of their way to build quality in the ProLogic ccts. For example the Denon AVR3000 has a fabulous ProLogic cct. Dolby's newer ccts are just not what they used to be. As even THX will admits, THX starts AFTER ProLogic has done its job. Therefore the question comes down to money and how its sounds. Yes 5 channel stereo sounds great. 3 times as good? Well....? Yes I just upgraded my Denon AVR3000 for a fabulous priced AVR4802($1000 off list from an authorized dealer). Maybe, take the difference and upgrade some of your components. It, as has been said comes down to what you want to accomplish in your system. If it sounds great and you are a DVD/DTS kind of user versus a lot of off the air simple ProLogic, take the money saved and run. Otherwise pay for the upgrade to Prologic II now. The only reason that I bought a new unit was that I could get the newer unit(with all of its greater flexible inputs) for just a little less than going to MSB for upgrades. Time will tell if I made a reasonable choice.

Still trying to get the new system programed, hooked up and running.

This message has been edited by Trouble maker on 03-16-2002 at 11:48 PM