amp suggestion

Mullini

Haven't been into audio since my Marantz 2230 in the 70's...wife's first husband was a rocker. Always wanted some Klipsch speakers since college after hearing Rita Coolidge on some electrostatic screens. Finally broke down and just impulsively bought 2 B3's and a KSW10 subwoofer. Need to integrate with Sharp 45 HD LCD with AVC system which specifies 4 Ohm/10W speakers. I really want to just augment the audio on cable, netflix, etc. and listen to CD's/DVD's as well as intenet radio. Would appreciate suggestions as to what amp I should buy. Not really worried about the cost. My apologies for the moronic level of this question but I've been out of pocket for about 30 years, surviving on XM radio in the car. Thanks

Not really worried about the cost.

First off, welcome to the forum, this is a nice place to hang out. I'm going to assume you are looking for a receiver, not a power amp. I can't help with that I've run separate components since the 70's. Anyway if I'm wrong these are nice little amps...................There is a nice used pair on Audiogon for 27,500 OBO right now, sounds like a deal.

post-25429-13819539111152_thumb.jpg

post-25429-13819554543274_thumb.jpg

post-25429-13819567398846_thumb.jpg

Easy Russ! [:D]

Mullini, this statement is a bit confusing to me: "Need to integrate with Sharp 45 HD LCD with AVC system which specifies 4 Ohm/10W speakers. I really want to just augment the audio on cable, netflix, etc. and listen to CD's/DVD's as well as intenet radio."

Please elaborate on your needs, then I (we) can suggest something.

Easy Russ! Big Smile

Hey, I wasn't the guy that said money was nooooooooo problem. I didn't want to sell the guy short! I was thinking if money was not a problem I would suggest the nice AR tube amp. Money could start to be a problem, if I brought a few of those home...........

Thanx, Russ

Sorry for my ignorance. My Sharp LCD has an AVC receiver that came with it, through which all the peripherals (i.e. DVD, cable box, etc.) connect. All the connections (HDMI, Video S, component,etc.) are on the AVC which connects directly to the LCD.... It has connections for additional speakers as well, but I assumed the AVC would not drive the Klipsch speakers the way they were intended. I assumed I needed an amplifier for the Klipsch speakers, which would then connect to the AVC. All I want is a home theatre setup...better sound via the new speakers for sports on TV, DVD's, and streaming movies and music. I assume the AVC speaker connections are for little sh---y ones. Maybe I'm wrong. And as for the money, you know what the B3's cost. This is entry level stuff so the amp should be of good quality, but not something ridiculously expensive. Did I read that correctly...27,500.00?

Did I read that correctly...27,500.00?

It can get a lot steeper than that.

Welcome by the way, if you need a hole avr, system all together I would recommend a Harman/Kardon theres lots of great deals for those on the bay, locally etc etc, as far as separate amps a lot of folks are going with Emotiva or maybe even Outlaw but I haven't read much reviews for Outlaws separate power amps. I am sure something you need could be had for a few hundred dollars, not thousands. Good luck on your quest.

duder

Welcome to the Forum Mullini, We're glad you're here!

Don't worry about not knowing the "lingo". Things have changed A LOT since the 1970's.

I am not sure what your AVC (is that Audio Video Controller?) is, but you are probably right that you need something else.

Could you tell us what Brand Model number it is?

I would suggest looking at AVR (Audio Video Receiver) by Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Pioneer,etc and find one in your price range that has the features you need. Like HDMI, 2nd zone capabilities, 2 sub woofer output, preout's so you can add an external amp if desired, etc. Most in the sub $1000 range are very similar and features are what you need to look for.

Find a couple that fit your needs and check back in and we can give you our opinions on them.

Dennie

Sorry for seeming so arrogant about price...I had NO IDEA anyone would suggest something that expensive, nor did I know you could even get something that expensive. Thought I made it clear I was a neophyte...Also, you obviously know what B3's cost (or are they below you?). Your suggestion is ridiculous but you got the best of me and I suppose I deserve it. But you must be a real prick. I'll save a slot for you on my CT colonography schedule. We just bought a new Co2 colon infuser for just over 10K and I think you would enjoy it. I don't belong on this forum. I'll just go to the local video store. Signing off...mullini

"Duuuuuuuuuuuude.......Duuuuuuuuuuuude, You're being very undude." - W. Sobchak.

I'm pretty sure that it was a gentle poke and no harm was intended. You did say that money was no object. I thought it was hilarious, but then again my brain tissue is a bit softer and smokier than most. Smoke a Thai stick, chill a bit and come on back. This forum is a fantastic place to gain insight and glean info from peeps who spend more on audio gear than I do on transportation. I've learned a ton and really appreciate the fact that many of these guys so freely offer their opinion and advice. Brings a tear to my eye it does..........

Mullini, there is some sarcasm here but also some suggestions.

I quickly read through what your AVC and LCD TV has. The AVC looks all self contained. Only inputs, and no outputs.

But I think an AVR receiver could still work alongside the AVC for tv watching. It looks like your tv has an optical out, so it would be possible to hook that up to an AVR receiver. That would then power your B3s.

You could also not use your AVC and use an AVR receiver to do all your source switching (CD, DVD, etc.). I think you'd have more home theater options in using a seperate receiver than using the AVC. Although I just skimmed the summary of it and might have missed something.

Look into Harman Kardon (here's mine, older but good: Link), Onkyo, or Marantz. Good luck.

Geeze, Rhadamanthus, I suggest a nice deal on a pair of used tube amps ($27,500) and you chase the guy off with some 60,000 buck brutes. I told the guy I didn't know nothing about no receivers. I'd get a pair but my room is too small for those heaters.

Thanx, Russ

Mullini, don't run off just because of a couple of wise guys. There are some good guys here. Us two channel guys are a little nuts. I don't have the money for 28,000 buck amps (actually I do but that is beside the point) but I would like to hear a pair.