integra dtr-80.1 help with settings

djwarila

i am looking for any advice on settings that will make my setup sound its best. i will admit that although it may look like i have a descent setup, i really have no clue what to set everything to. im sure that any one of you guys would have the house rockin, but im still kinda gettin my feet wet in this hobby. so anyone that can give me any advice that would be awesome. a few things i would like to do is send all or most of the bass to my subwoofers, instead of allowing the bigger speakers to handle it. is this the way to go? also in my receiver settings there is no small or large settings. it just asks me to select a cutoff frequency for each speaker. so i assume that any frequency below the number i choose will go right to the sub, so should i set them all to 100hz? also when i run the audessey it calibrates all of my speakers really low, so that i have to crank the volume to hear it. is it ok to add a couple Db to every speaker in an even fashion to make the overall sound louder? by the way my system consists of 2 Rf-83's, 2 Rf-63's, 2 Rs-62's, an Rc-64, 2 Kw-120 subs (and ka amp) and its all powered by an Integra Dtr-80.1 receiver. i hope that somebody is familiar with this receiver and can help, thanks

I use the Onkyo 1007, which with a few differences (video chip) is basically the same in functionality. Run Audyssey and let it do it's thing. Then go back in and change the crossover to about 80hz as a starting point... especially on the fronts. Very few people (especially people with speakers as large as yours) run their crossovers higher than 80hz.

As far as the level settings of the speakers. If you are setting all of your level settings higher (and equally so) then you are doing the exact same thing as turning up the volume. I believe Audyssey adjusts the level down so far in db's because the Klipsch speakers are so sensitve and the receiver/audyssey is re-calibrating volume settings so that when you hit "0" on the volume knob it is reference level. There is a setting to not set "0" as reference level. You may want to change that setting and re-run Audyssey and see if Audyssey lowers your level settings the same amount. Sometimes you just gotta have blind faith (great band by the way) that the equipment you bought is working the way it was intentended to work and that the designers of that equipment are a heckuva lot smarter than you are.

The best thing to do is to take a few hours when you have some time without any other distractions and re-calibrate and/or change the settings several different times and in several different ways and put in a snipet of a movie you are familiar with and see what sounds best to you.

Good luck sir!

I apologize in advance for a second post in as many seconds... I forgot to add something. Here is the Audyssey Q&A website.

http://ask.audyssey.com/forums/64676/entries

There is not a ton of reading here so you can read all of the posts in a relatively short time frame. Very imformative. This will give you a good idea of what the designers of Audyssey intended and believe their system is capable of doing. There is also a lot more in-depth and more back and forth on the topic over at AVS Forums in an Audyssey thread... though I do not have that saved.

• Moderators

a few things i would like to do is send all or most of the bass to my subwoofers,

As suggested, the crossover setting will take care of that. Whatever info is below the crossover setting will get routed to the sub since you do not have a setting for Large or Small.

instead of allowing the bigger speakers to handle it. is this the way to go?

This is a preference. Many in the forums like setting theirs to small and they say it adds clarity to their mains. In my room, the mains sound better set to large but that's just me. There is no right or wrong, it's what sounds good to you so play around with it.

so should i set them all to 100hz?

Again, 80Hz is a good starting point. If your sub or amp to the sub has a crossover, turn it all the way up and let your receiver's crossover determine what frequencies go to the sub. That way you don't have two crossovers trying to filter the frequencies.

also when i run the audessey it calibrates all of my speakers really low, so that i have to crank the volume to hear it. is it ok to add a couple Db to every speaker in an even fashion to make the overall sound louder?

What db is Audessey setting them at? If it's set at 0, you are fine. You have to remember that Klipsch speakers are very efficient so it doesn't need to "boost" the levels.

by the way my system consists of 2 Rf-83's, 2 Rf-63's, 2 Rs-62's, an Rc-64, 2 Kw-120 subs (and ka amp) and its all powered by an Integra Dtr-80.1 receiver.

You definitely have a great setup! Where are the pics?

thanks, so if my rf-83's can handle just say 29hz and up, and i set them to 80hz that means anything from 0-80 will go to the sub correct? i have some pics posted in the home theater thread, but i got a new stand, rears, and sides, it looks way diff now. ill try to post this weekend. thanks for the help so far.