La Scala Rehab

CapZark

I'm rehabbing a pair of beat up La Scalas

I've read on here that the AL type crossovers arn't very good. I just bought a pair with these crossover and before I clean them up I wanted to know why people don't like them?

I also read that the Crites woofer is better than the stock woofer? Any truth to that?

Lastly, my horns are plastic. Is there a better alternative or is plastic okay. Seems kind of cheap.

Any solid advice would be appreciated.

How much and how far are you willing/wanting to go?

I've got a single LaScala that is a 'beater box' and I intend on fixing it down the road.

I'm not going to buy the K400/401 for it (sounds like you have the K401) but rather, I'm going to turn it into a JubeScala and put the K510 inside it where the K401 currently sits (after putting a new face on the front of the speaker)

If you want to really improve their sound then do this:

1. Fix the sidewalls from resonating, some use wedges. I'm going to try to simply wrap entire speaker in another layer of 3/4" plywood (probably oak or something?)

2. Put the K510 in there, sell all the other parts

3. Get an active crossover and biamp it.

If you REALLY want to go balls to the wall, put the much larger K402 horn on top (which is actually larger than the LaScala itself)

Do a search on JubeScala and you'll find some hits on it. Better yet.... where are you located? maybe there's a pair near enough that you could simply hear them & decide for yourself.

I think the above enhancements along with a subwoofer that would keep up with the LaScala will create an absolutely awesome sonic experience.

I'm rehabbing a pair of beat up La Scalas

I've read on here that the AL type crossovers arn't very good. I just bought a pair with these crossover and before I clean them up I wanted to know why people don't like them?

I also read that the Crites woofer is better than the stock woofer? Any truth to that?

Lastly, my horns are plastic. Is there a better alternative or is plastic okay. Seems kind of cheap.

Any solid advice would be appreciated.

The Type AL has a resonance that sounds like a howl in the range of a french horn.

The Crites woofer is better than some OEM woofers, but probably only in a K-horn, not a La Scala. It is the same as the older OEM woofers, maybe yours. My Type AL La Scalas had round magnet woofers that are said to have the higher Fs. Since the la Scala bass horn does little below 60Hz, raising the Fs to 34 Hz means nothing.

*IF* you have K-401 composite horns, you have good ones. A La Scala with Type ALs should not have K-401 horns. If you don't have Klipsch made horn, you need to order some and like Coytee said, you have several choices.