What is the best Portable Speakers to Buy?

FeebleFun

I'm looking for 'good' speakers that I can easily transport. So small or smallish 2.0 speakers is what I had in mind. I am looking to bring them to a lan party at various friends places for gaming. So I need them to represent sound well across the board. It's not worth it dragging my 5.1 Klipsch's around anymore. Taking
that as a note, I am used to hearing excellent all around sound.

I am willing to drop up to / closely around a $100. What do you guys recommend from Klipsch? Or do you recommend I look outside of Klipsch for such needs?

(PS - Completely off topic: Klipsch you need to get your act together. You are losing your dedicated fan base. Fix these simple, volume control related problems.)

Like what? I bought the Groove 2.0's before they were discontinued, I bought 5 sets of them, I use them in my living room right now with my TV and love them, they sound awesome stand alone with music too. they sound just as good as the ultra 2.0 do in my opnion and they are smaller and only run one driver each, I dont know how they did it, lol.

Lol, Well..... Yeah! I actually just ordered a nice 5.1 receiver and already have some JBL sats and a JBL subwoofer, now i just need to buy a nice pair for the main front and center channels and I will be all set. any recommendations? also, I am kind of on a budget and don't want to spend more than $400 for a pair of front speakers.

Try Ascend Acoustics CBM-170SE

http://ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cbm170/cbm170.html

Or Tweakcity Audio WAF-1

http://tweakcityaudio.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=21&category_id=7&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

Energy RC-10.

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/542469405/energy-rc10?v_c=GoogleBase&ne_ppc_id=914&ne_key_id=6349809

They are the most linear and accurate speakers you can find under $40. Energy is a Klipsch brand if you feel strongly about supporting Klipsch.

If you want floorstanders you might have to go slightly above $400 (after shipping):

Polk Monitor 70

http://www.jr.com/polk-audio/pe/POK_MONITOR70BK/#productTabShipping

Klipsch 2.0 Ultra, Logitech Z-10, Gigaworks T-20/T-40 are all good portable systems.

The 2.0 Ultra has the typical crappy Klipsch volume pot which crackles like an old hag. That was one of the reasons my roommate dumped it for an iFi.

I have been looking at those you mentioend and a few others.

I'm down to, Gigaworks T-20 or T-40, Klipsch Groove 2.0, ProMedia 2.0, or perhaps a Bose.

I still don't know what the difference between the T-20 and T-40's, aside from size. Does anyone know this?

Between the Groove 2.0 and the ProMedia 2.0. Which one is better? The Groove 'seem' more portable friendly.

Bose are really good for size, and apparantly clarity, but I dunno if anything else. Any thoughts on their 2.0's?

I dunno why, but for the past 4 or 5 years, it has been heard to get good critic reviews for any speaker system for ANY type of setup. And all the speaker companies just seem to care less. I swear everyone, including Klipsch have had the quality of their products slip.

The Bose multimedia speakers are terrible. Untreated paper 2" drivers, cheap thin plastic (resonating) enclosures. You should just totally scratch it off the list.

The Promedia 2.0 Ultras have a tweeter and a pair of 2.5" mids. The Groove 2.0 is just a single 3", so all things equal, it won't be to play as accurately as the Ultras.

The T-40 is probably out of your price range (retails for $250!--total ripoff), and as far as I know it just doubles up the midrange drivers.

I also forgot to mention the Logitech Z-520s which is a pretty neat dipole speaker, it has front and rear firing tweeters and a 3" midrange; designed to improve dispersion over standard satellite speakers. They are at the high end of your price range though ($100 on provantage).

• 6 months later...