Speakers clipping at high volume

andruxa

Eveing all

I use separates on my AVR home cinema, the fronts are Alesis RA300 not sheer high powered but plenty enough for small room.

The LCR are powered by DCX2496 then amplified the LCR LF and the sub LFE.1 gets its share of the same.

Now its real easy to clip if you have insouciant frequency response within the seating locating. You’ll be striving for more power output in SPL db but running far short because your amp is seeing a good enough signal as it is.

The room loudspeaker is different matter.

Nulls are the worse offending dips you can have! The chances are you might have several where critical bass might be needed!

And forcing the amp to play close to 0 is mindless because the loudspeakers might start going well over there technical tolerance level generating distortion or receiving an unstable signal the HF voice coil might burn out due to excessive harmful peaks.

The mid range the same.

The low range might start to show signs of bottoming with crackling like sounds.

Also smaller loudspeakers with differences in the sensitivity may need more or less depending on sensitivity frequency response and how much I should allow plus the SPL db max level as mid and highs can cause for some brittle uncomfortable listening pleasure to trained ear

This is sometimes common in some cinemas where frequency response may be great its just meet with too loud mix and most CD soundtracks or pop music is loud, you don’t need to advertise it to the neighbours living across the road!

Least of all punishing your own hearing because “tinnitus” is no fun, it’s worse than clipping itself.

Doesn’t matter how brilliant the loudspeakers are. If you have poor frequency response in the room and we all have this issue then don’t force it to be anything more.

Get some test gear and run a few frequency sweeps of the room loudspeaker to listening location get an few EQ with parametric EQ make sure your sound system can play loud and well within safety limits.

One thing would be to place the PEQ on the common left and right and second RTA that monitors the frequency response level at the seating location so you, have visual idea of what is happening at the listening location.

Some mixes have different frequency range some limited down near to 30Hz others 40Hz rare few down blow 20Hz into the infrasonic range.

Most common high peaks might be within 30Hz to 80Hz no telling where unless you have an RTA or spectrumlab is one such free tool I often use for direct and in-room frequency analyzing.

I had the same issues as the original poster. My KL650's were clipping at close to reference while powered with a Denon3300. Added an Emotiva XPA5 to the mix and not only is the problem gone, but the speakers perform well past my tolerances or expectations. I used to let the equipment dictate my maximum volumes....now my ears do.